unable to save and post

unable to save and post

by Richard Lemmer -
Number of replies: 12
Apologies as I originally posted this in the Forum module but now realize it is a problem across modules as the same error occurs when I attempt to save anything, but only in this one course.

This is the first time in more than three years of using Moodle that I have encountered this error. I created a new course a month ago and now when I try to add a forum or edit a topic heading I get this error after I hit the save button."The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request."

Here is what is listed in the server's error log:
[Tue Mar 27 05:24:57 2007] [error] [client 202.70.239.85] File does not exist: /home/eflwesl/public_html/500.shtml
[Tue Mar 27 05:23:15 2007] [error] [client 61.197.103.151] File does not exist: /home/eflwesl/public_html/500.shtml
[Tue Mar 27 05:21:53 2007] [error] [client 61.197.103.151] File does not exist: /home/eflwesl/public_html/404.shtml

I cannot understand how the file does not exist as I am creating it by hitting the save button, am I not? Puzzled and stressed with the new semester starting soon. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Richard
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Lemmer

Re: unable to save and post

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Hi Richard,

I have two suggestions:

1) Find id of your course (for example http://yourmoodle/course/view.php?id=6 ) and check that permissions of moodledata/6 (id) folder and files there have not changed for some unknown reason

2) It is possible that you have either saved too long text (with html code) to some field of mdl_course table of your database or there are some other errors . If you have phpmyadmin check that table and data of that course id that has problems, edit it or try to repair it.

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Richard Lemmer -
Thanks Mauno. I checked the permissions and opened them to 777 and still the same problem. The text is not too long as I was only tryint to enter weekly topic names in the topics module. Still working on it.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I don't think those errors are anything to do with it per se. They look like missing custom error page files (the 500 being the internal server error and the 404 a missing file, the 404 being very common in logs).

Next thing, I would try and track down what actually happened. Make sure debugging is turned up full in the Admin pages and that php logging is on (see http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installation_FAQ#Why_is_a_particular_page_blank_or_incomplete.3F). Then try it again, look for additional errors and re-check the logs. Keep your fingers crossed that something shows up.

Just a thought - there's no chance you've run out of disk space?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Mauno Korpelainen -
...but if other courses are working fine it can't be disk space...one thing to add: some .htaccess file in a wrong place (moodledata folder) could also cause this problem

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
That's a very good point smile

I'd be surprised if the permissions had got borked on a particular part of the moodledata tree - but you never know. I guess it might also be a database issue rather than the actual saving of the file. It's a strange one!

Another thought.... have you tried loading those particular files that cause the problem into a different course. Have you proved that it really is the course and not the files? For instance, Moodle can be a bit hit and miss about reporting files that are too big.

by Mauno Korpelainen -

A couple of days a go I tested Elena Ivanova's problem http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=63175

and my database and browser crashed. The reason was that I copied a couple of pages from Word, pasted it to a Wiki field and saved. I had to clean it from database table because the link itself did not work anymore...

I could imagine that this is a little bit same sort of a problem (if permissions are ok).

by Richard Lemmer -
Hi Howard. Thanks. There is plenty of space remaining on my server. The permissions appear to be OK. I have tried uploading to a different course and it worked fine. When I initially created the course I got an error message which I have forgotten now, but by adding a folder 9 to my uploaddata folder I was able to continue. I had been working and adding resource files and forums with no problem when suddenly these errors occured.
Opne to any further suggestions. Perhaps an upgrade is in order.

by Richard Lemmer -
I'm afraid that when I try to make additions or changes to other courses that I now get the same error message. The permissions appear to be OK. AM now totally confused by this and classes start soon.

by Mauno Korpelainen -

If you get errors from all your courses one possible reason is changed (name) server (you could ask from your host if they have made any major changes, upgrading etc).

by Mauno Korpelainen -

...and if your host has not made any changes there is still left:

- some .htaccess file or local php.ini file (but if you have not moved or created them it might not be the reason)

- some corrupted file or script (you could replace/upload files of module forum with the original ones) or database error (run repair with phpmyadmin)

Problem Solved

by Richard Lemmer -
Thanks Mauno and Howard. The site is being upgraded to the latest version of Moodle and that should resolve the problem.

by Richard Lemmer -
Yes. I posted the server support this morning to see but it generally takes them a day to get back. Awaiting their reply.

Thanks for the suggestion.