Installing GD

Installing GD

by Shona Hewitson -
Number of replies: 11

I've installed EasyPHP1-7 for the first time and managed to get up and running with Moodle. Fantastic btw!

How do I turn on profile images? I've read another persons df topic and they've said they installed GD version 2.0 by default it says that I dont have any GD, where can I get it?

Please help! I've followed all the install notes and everything seems to work a treat!

Cheers wink

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Shona Hewitson

Svar: Installing GD

by Anders Berggren -

Hi,

I have the same problem (Windows XP/EasyPHP1.7). I can't upload user pictures using e g Edit Profile. I think it's because GD lib is not ON. I wanted to run phpini.exe (used to be in the main EasyPHp folder) to change this setting but I could find any such program. Anyone knows how to fix this?

Cheers, Anders

In reply to Anders Berggren

Re: Svar: Installing GD

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
Right click on the EasyPHP icon in the task tray.  Choose Configuration->Extensions PHP from the resulting menu.  You will get a window with a column of checkboxes.  Check the box next to php_gd2.
In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

Svar: Re: Svar: Installing GD

by Anders Berggren -

Thanks. A very accurate answer. It didn't solve my problem though. My analysis must have been wrong. Should there be some required folders in "moodledata" mixed  e g like "pix"? My moodledata folder is empty since I erased everything from there.

Cheers, Anders 

In reply to Anders Berggren

Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Installing GD

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
Try revisiting your Administration->Configuration->Variables page and see if GD2 is detected there. If so, click on "Save Changes". You might also try rebooting Windows in addition to taking all these steps.

Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Installing GD

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
I could be wrong, but I tought GD2 is standard installed in Easyphp, but due to one or other bug somewhere it isn't detected by Moodle. Fill in yourself in Administration->Configuration->variables that GD2 is installed and it should work.
In reply to koen roggemans

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Installing GD

by Anders Berggren -

Hey, you guys just pushed me into the next proximal zone, Eureka wide eyes! And what do I see in the new light? A photo of myself mixed!?!  Well maybe one shouldn't expect so much... big grin 

Thanks, Anders

by James Strohmaier -

I'm in the same situation as others on this link, only I know absolutely nothing about what the heck y'all are talking about. I'm not a programmer, and don't know the first thing about code. Just to give you a sense of how backward I am, I have no idea if this is essentially a server administration problem or a site administration problem. My Moodle does not have GD installed (I was able to get that far). My version of PHP is 4.1.2. My server administrator, who does not speak a great deal of English, said that the reason GD is not installed is the version of PHP does not have it. When I asked him how we can 'get' it, he said that the web page for the department (we are a university department with our own server) would get all screwed up if we downloaded another version of PHP . . . something along the lines of "All the professors' pages would have to be reconfigured" or some such nonsense. Now I can't understand how all you guys out there are able to make these kinds of changes if changing a PHP file would 'crash' all the other pages on a server. Also, does everyone here have direct access to the files on their servers? To me, this seems like such a solvable problem (getting the GD installed to accept .jpg's, gif's, etc.), but my server administrator seems to be telling me that it can't be done without ruining everything else on the server. Please help!

Beyond Confused

In reply to James Strohmaier

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Let me first translate what your server administrator was trying to tell you.

"All the professors' pages would have to be reconfigured" =  Please don't bother me.

Unfortunately, he is partially accurate in that GD cannot simply be added to an existing PHP installation.   It has to be built in.  So he or she has to remove the existing PHP and replace it with one that has GD in its "build". 

Fortunately, there are many versions of PHP that have GD.  He can install one such as version 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 and any of these should not require reconfiguring the other professors' sites.  GD is a very normal thing, and probably it was an oversight on his part that it was not included (don't say to him directly of course). smile   Perhaps, your admin is thinking that you want the latest 5.0 PHP, which might cause problems.  Be sure to say you do not need 5.0.  Now, ask him "how" (not "if") he can do it with minimum of trouble.   If he continues to resist, write down the reasons as specific as possible and tell him you will check again with Moodle.  Hope this helps.  smile

In reply to Don Hinkelman

by James Strohmaier -

Thanks for the help. The version of PHP we have is 4.1.2, so I that should have GD built in, yes? Now the question is how to configure it so that Moodle recognizes that GD is a part of our server's PHP. Any help with that?

In fairness to my server admin, he said he's going to contact a programmer friend to walk him through it. Still, I'd like to have answers for him if he is unable to get in touch with the guy. There was a 'reply' posted here that suggested going to an EasyPHP icon, right-clicking, and then activating a php_gd2 button, but he checked and we don't have one (PHP icon, that is).

In reply to James Strohmaier

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
>>The version of PHP we have is 4.1.2, so I that should have GD built in, yes?

No.  GD is an optional module.  Any version of PHP can have it and any version of PHP may not have it. 

>>Now the question is how to configure it so that Moodle recognizes that
>>GD is a part of our server's PHP. Any help with that?

It seems you are working with a Windows server, right?   I am only familiar with Mac servers.  But I am fairly sure that you have to remove the current PHP and replace it with any version of PHP 4 that has the GD option built in.

Good luck!   smile
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Phil Chan -
I found this installation guide from dmxzone.com

http://dmxzone.com/ShowDetail.asp?NewsId=5001

in a nutshell, this is what you have to do:

1. Find php_gd2.dll (usually in the c:\php\extenstion or ext folder) and copy this to the C:\php (assumes that this is where you placed all your php files).  Note that in php.ini, there is a directive that tells php where teh extensions are, the default I have is c:\php.

2. Edit php.ini, look for ;extention=php_gd2.dll and uncomment it (i.e. remove the ';' in front).

Restart your web service or server if necessary.

See if this works for you. Cause it didn't for me, appears that I may have some other issues... sad