Automatic positioning of cursor in Subject field

Automatic positioning of cursor in Subject field

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I've just noticed that, since moodle.org has been using version 1.8, when posting forum messages, the cursor is automatically positioned in the Subject field.

This is fine when you are posting a new discussion topic, since it makes it clear that you have to type a Subject for your message before proceeding to typing the text of your message.

However, when you are replying to a discussion topic, that automatic positioning is not a good thing. Normally you do not want to change the Subject of that discussion, you JUST want to type your Message text immediately. Before I noticed this new behavior (1.8 version), I did not understand why, after clicking in the HTML editor and starting to type the text of my reply message, after I had typed a few letters or words, the cusor unexpectedly moved to the Subject field and I was now typing the rest of my message in that field.angry

Have you noticed this? Does it bother you too? If so, you can vote for bug report MDL-8882.

Joseph

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Automatic positioning of cursor in Subject field

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Bump.
Looks like not so many people are disturbed by this cursor positioning (it must be me sad). If you are, you can still vote for bug report MDL-8882.
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi Joseph,

On a test site the cursor was at the end of the text in the subject field. When I clicked in the HTML editor and started typing it stayed there.

When replying here the cursor was not in the subject field. In fact I had to position the cursor n either field or text area to commence typing.

Firefox 2.something on XP.

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Ray Lawrence -

Same in IE 6. perhaps it's been fixed in the last couple of days.

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Joseph Rézeau -
Hi Ray, you are quite right. On this forum it seems to be working the way I want it to now.approve
Thanks,
Joseph