Moodle 1.7.1 performance problems.

Moodle 1.7.1 performance problems.

by Luciano Rodriguez -
Number of replies: 8
I tried to update our Moodle server to 1.7.1 from 1.6.1. When I updated to the newer version i noticed that the MySQL is running at 150%. I am assuming that the Roles is behind this. I tried to optimize some tables, but to no avail. So I had to restore from the backup to 1.6.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
--
Intel Xserve and PPC Xserve G5
MySQL 4.1.20
PHP 4.3.11
Apache 2
Both xserves have webserver process running
PPC xserve has the MySQL db

PPC has 8gb ram
Intel has 4gb ram
--
I think that is all the info.. let me know if you need more.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luciano Rodriguez

Re: Moodle 1.7.1 performance problems.

by Genner Cerna -
wow what a powerful ram you have, a fine tweaking would solve the problem
In reply to Genner Cerna

by Luciano Rodriguez -
What would you recommend Genner? I need help ? smile

by Tony Hursh -
Which version of OS X Server are you running? If it's before 10.4.7, Apple has some tuning tips here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303225

Also, maybe run the database on the faster machine? You might have to toss in some more RAM to make it comparable to the amount in the G5. but that machine is almost certainly a lot faster than the G5 you're using now.

Someone with more expertise in db tuning may have other suggestions.

Actually, it looks like the Apple tip might help even if you are running 10.4.7 or later, 'cause updating the OS doesn't automatically update the my.cnf file. It's worth a try if the system was originally running something before 10.4.7.

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Luciano Rodriguez -
Oops sorry about that, Mac os X 10.4.8

by Ken Wilson -

Hi Luciano

A few ideas focusing on the mysql side:

1. Although proprietary benchmarking and profiling is currently anathema, it would nonetheless be useful if you could upload the results of Sam Marshall's hardware perspectives script - noting all the warnings about leaving it available in a publically accessible directory. We could then get a good idea whether the problem is with the disk or with the database.
  2. Take a look also at the performance docs - there are some general hints and tips on mysql tuning there. The skip-thread-priority option is also useful in Windows systems where myqld takes control of the CPU.

Ken

by Tony Hursh -
It might still be worth checking if it's an upgrade rather than an original post-10.4.7 install.

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Genner Cerna -
I would suggest installing LINUX Server, LAMP, APC, and reverse Squid.

Then test the perfomance after by benchmarking apache and tweaking mysql and squid

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Luciano,

We just ran a 300 user stress test with Linux and moodle 1.7.1 and had no problems. In fact, we could have handled 1000 simultaneous users on the same single server. So roles is not making any issues. I had a similar breakdowns before with OS X as a server. Apache and MySQL configurations need changes if you stick with OS X--but I don't know what--just try comparing with our settings over in our report.