Random selection of questions from a question pool

by Sai Kumar Potluri -
Number of replies: 10

Dear,

How can I make the quiz module select random questions form a given question pool..?

i.e, Suppose I have 200 questions on my qustion pool and a test has 50 questions.. How can I make sure that the student gets 50 questions at random from 200 predefined questions..? Please some one help me out...

Thanks in advance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sai Kumar Potluri

Re: Random selection of questions from a question pool

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

Please check docs.moodle.org/en/Editing_a_quiz for information on adding random questions to a quiz.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Sai Kumar Potluri -

Dear helen,

The problem is not that.. Suppose I have uploaded 100 questions onto my quiz..

If an user attempts the quiz he should see only 50 questions, and the next time adifferent 50 questions.. And so on.. That is the system should be able to give the student questions which are not familiar to him from his previous attempt..

Can You suggest me how to do this. Please help me.

Thanks a lot

Sai

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Helen was pointing you to this bit of the page: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Editing_a_quiz#Adding_random_questions which explains exactly what you want to know.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Sai Kumar Potluri -

Dear Tim,

At present if I upload 50 questions into my quiz using add random questions, A student gets 50 questions as his test, another student too gets the same 50 questions but in adifferent order.. What I need is the system should give him altogether a different set of questions and not the same 50 in different order..

Making this will enhance the quality of my tests.. Is there a way to do this. Please guide me a solution.

Thanks a lot..

by Paul Robinson -

Hi

The second student will get a "different" set of questions. How different depends on the number of questions you are selecting from. If you are getting 50 questions from a pool of 1000, then most questions between the two tests will differ. If you are getting 50 from a pool of 100 then a lot of questions will be the same. The system does not keep track of the questions already used in a different test. This is just as well as for lots of students you would quickly run out of questions!

If you have 2 students getting a lot of the same questions then you probably don't have enough questions to choose from.

regards

Paul 

by hays namra -

Hi Sai Kumar Potluri

I also have the same problem, have your problem solve?

In reply to hays namra

by victorin sandrean -
Hi all.
Can anyone help me with my problem?
I don't want that questions in my quiz to be randomized. For example i have 50 questions and the task is to answer those questions in order, from 1 to 50, not 1,23,34,2,and so on...
please, i really need your help.
In reply to victorin sandrean

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Victorin,
Check Quiz settings, Adding/updating a quiz under display settings, turn off shuffle questions.

Tip: in the question title, start each question with the question order number. Probably a good habit to use 001 for your first, 002 for the second. When questions display in a list for the teacher to select, the question title is the sort value.

Most of my teachers want a fixed number of questions in a question category and select all of them. We like to see the start of the question in the title. After or before a quiz, I use the title trick to call attention to questions in a category by placing a number or a ZZ at the front. For example: "1 added check The cow jumped over" or "ZZ remove 2010-3 Why did the Moodler cross" .

These are codes for actions. If somebody forgets to "remove" (ie move) the question, the ZZ puts it at the bottom of the list and it stands out. Hopefully Mr. Collman will not use it when he compiles the next quiz smile

Chris
In reply to Chris Collman

by victorin sandrean -

hi, i need some help.
I want to know what to change php code, so questions in a quiz could be answered only one time. I meen that you can't turn back to queston 1, 12 or 23 if you are at number 24...please help me if someone can..Thanks a lot

In reply to hays namra

by victorin sandrean -
yes, my problem was solved, but now i have to change php code so students could see the questions only one time. For example you can't go back to question 1,2,3,4if now you at question number 5, and so on....If anybody can help me, i would be very thankfull