Students' quiz answers not saving upon submission of quiz

Students' quiz answers not saving upon submission of quiz

by Nathan Seibel -
Number of replies: 3

I have worked with 2 separate students who have experienced a problem with a Moodle quiz or exam. They have entered in answers for the entire quiz and after they have submitted the quiz, they discovered that a few answers have not been saved.

When I open their quizzes, I can see the history report underneath each question. I can see that the students actually did choose an answer but Moodle did not save it. I don’t know for sure if these students clicked the button “save without submitting.” However, this problem has occurred on quiz pages where some of the questions have been saved and others have not, so it did not occur entirely on one page of a quiz where the student potentially did not click the button “save without submitting.”

Any ideas what may be occurring? Ultimately it has not created an issue of whether or not I should believe the student, because the history does show a chosen answer.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nathan Seibel

Re: Students' quiz answers not saving upon submission of quiz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If a student answer is showing up in the response history, then it was saved. Is the issue that it was not graded? Or that it saved first their actual response, and then saved a blank response after that in the history?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Nathan Seibel -
Thanks for your response. What is happening is that the students' first response is saved according to the history but a blank response is saved in the history after the students' saved response.
In reply to Nathan Seibel

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks, that is helpful information. Unfortunately, I cannot think of any logical cause for those bank answers being saved. And without knowing where they are coming from, we can't come up with a solution.