Issues with Wiki in Safari

Issues with Wiki in Safari

by Whitney Lowe -
Number of replies: 3
I have several students who are using Safari as their web browser and are having trouble viewing and editing in our wiki (we are using the standard wiki module). They report being unable to see the editing toolbar and the document itself is looking like jumbled code when they click on the "edit" tab. Has anyone had similar problems?

Whitney
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Whitney Lowe

Re: Issues with Wiki in Safari

by Tony Hursh -
The rich text editor in Moodle does not work in Safari. This is a Safari problem that Apple has to fix. The Apple Webkit guys know about it, and it's on their Compatibility Hit list.

If they want the editing toolbar they'll have to use Firefox for now.... sorry.

The same problem affects most other web-based software that uses this type of editor, such as the WordPress blogging package and the Elgg collaboration tool.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tony Hursh

by Whitney Lowe -
Thanks for that tip. I'll see if I can get them to move over to Firefox.

In reply to Whitney Lowe

by Lesli Smith -
Hi, Whitney. Tony's reply hadn't hit my inbox, yet, at the time I had logged in to reply. I was going to say mostly the same thing. I had this issue two years ago when Safari and IE were the only browsers available at school. I hope you are able to get them to use Firefox as trying to teach basic HTML isn't that easy (especially when the teacher isn't overly proficient at it herself).

The upside to the "jumbled code" part is that it has enabled me to go in and fix some issues in the code in some of my student entries that I wouldn't have otherwise been able to see. For that reason, I don't recommend discounting Safari entirely. It is helpful to have the code laid bare, so to speak, for those of us who don't know how to make the code transparent without the aid of this apparent "glitch." smile