Is it possible...

Is it possible...

by Ger Tielemans -
Number of replies: 5
  • Jon, is it possible to give every student a personal calendar, where all the moduls on all the sections of all the courses that that student is enrolled in are echoed in his personal calender?
    (Looking at current practice: If a student or even a teacher must copy these by hand, it will never work)
  • Can the student then choose to filter that "overcrowded page" on type of modul? (assignments, quizzes, exercises, dialogues, meetings, workshops, etc.. )
  • is it possible to group some of these in logical groupfilters, like: deliverables (should be the deadline?!?) tests-dates, meetings (live AND virtual, like forum and chat)
  • IF you insert a new modul, how can the admin place this new modul in the right (=locally preferred) filter-groups.

• Teachers need a calendarview where they can see the same personal student calendar as guest, so they can spread the tests of ALL the courses over time for that student...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ger Tielemans

Re: Is it possible...

by John Papaioannou -
Hi Ger,

1. - is it possible to give every student a personal calendar, where all the moduls on all the sections of all the courses that that student is enrolled in are echoed in his personal calender?

This is already available, detailed month view and course filter set to "displayed" ( = all courses)

2. - Can the student then choose to filter that "overcrowded page" on type of modul? (assignments, quizzes, exercises, dialogues, meetings, workshops, etc.. )
    - is it possible to group some of these in logical groupfilters, like: deliverables (should be the deadline?!?) tests-dates, meetings (live AND virtual, like forum and chat)

A filter like that would be nice for sure. However, before going on to do anything of the sort, we should think carefully about exactly what we are after. Most probably, a "type of activity" filter wouldn't be very useful, but the "logical groupfilters" you mention would be. Sadly, I do not currently have the time to design this thing. If someone can come up with a good design, I will implement it though.

3. - IF you insert a new modul, how can the admin place this new modul in the right (=locally preferred) filter-groups.

If we do have filters by activity type at some point, this will be done automatically without the admin's intervention.

4. - Teachers need a calendarview where they can see the same personal student calendar as guest, so they can spread the tests of ALL the courses over time for that student...

Again, they can already do this using the detailed month view and viewing course events from all courses they are enrolled in.

Jon
In reply to John Papaioannou

by Ger Tielemans -

I overlooked that, so I have to give calendar a second chance knipoog

About 4.

No, Then a teacher sees his own courses (A French teacher gets a view of all his French courses.)

Reason: A teacher who is setting a date for an exam, wants to see what kind of exams are already set. (We experience this as a new "need", now the timetable creators of the schools lost their monopoly position for creating the overview timetable(s) ...They were also doing a kind of central coordination with the poor student in mind!!) 

by John Papaioannou -
Oh, I see. I didn't understand what you meant, before.

Well, that would be solved if we had powerful filters as discussed in 2. That way a teacher could see all "exam" kind of events from all courses, and he wouldn't place his own exam near another one. So we come back to the filtering design issue again...
In reply to John Papaioannou

by Ger Tielemans -
Not only exams. Students are now working in their own pace and complain that they have have to deliver big assignments on the same date as the big exams. (Of course they start to late, therefore we need your overview calendar so badly..) 

by Ger Tielemans -

Another point is that not all task/moduls are "mapped" on days of the week.

So in week view it makes sense, not in day view.. 

If this should grow into a student-planner, the student must be able to say (inside the span of a week) "This will I do today, that tomorrow, that the day after tomorr...with a max. of seven days if he does this on the first day of the week,  If he starts to plan the next day he gets only 6 days in that week, then 5,4,3,2,1 and then NEXT WEEK.... etc...)