Multimedia filter doesn't work with Hot Potatoes?

Multimedia filter doesn't work with Hot Potatoes?

by Josep M. Fontana -
Number of replies: 10
I'm trying to link an mp3 file from a HotPotatoes quiz and get the Moodle flash player to appear but I'm having no success. When I link to an mp3 file from a regular web page the flash player shows up but not from within a Hot Potatoes quiz? Is there some sort of incompatibility?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

Re: Multimedia filter doesn't work with Hot Potatoes?

by Stewart Arneil -
I am no authority on Moodle. Hot Potatoes pages are xhtml 1.1 compliant (unless the author introduces incompatibilities), so I doubt there can be a compatibility problem, but media players are notoriously tricky and prone to inconsistent behaviour.

I also don't know anything about the "Moodle Flash Player". Are you able to create Hot Potatoes pages with media objects that work outside the Moodle environment? There is code for a very simple flash player through http://web.uvic.ca/hrd/hotpot/howto/audio.htm click on "start" then click on "I'm an expert".
In reply to Stewart Arneil

by Josep M. Fontana -

Hi Stewart,

Nice to see you here smile I've been helped by you many times in the Hot Potatoes forum at Yahoo but I did not expect to get your help here as well.

I have no problems with flash players in general in Moodle (well, actually, for some reason PYG's player is not working now although it did last year). But Moodle has a multimedia filter which, if activated, will make a flash player appear every time an mp3 file or other audio or video files are linked to. You don't have to introduce any code. Moodle detects it and calls the player for you. That's what's not working. I wanted to use Moodle's flash player to make it easier for our professors. I must be doing something wrong but I don't know exactly what. The HotPot module that Gordon developed is supposed to convert relative paths to absolute paths, so the path to the mp3 file should not be the problem. I'm stumped.

by Martin Holmes -
Is it possible that the mp3 link is inside JavaScript, not in the HTML of the page, and the Moodle filter isn't looking in the JavaScript, just in the HTML?
In reply to Martin Holmes

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The current HotPot module does not apply the Moodle filters at all, so for the time being Josep, you will need to explicitly add a media when creating the Hot Potatoes quiz (Insert -> Media object).

Since you you want to end up with the Moodle player, then you can specify ANY type of player when creating the quiz in Hot Potatoes, and then when you add the quiz to your Moodle course, set the "Force media plugins" to "Yes" and the HotPot module will replace the player added by Hot Potatoes with the Moodle media player.

In the next version of the HotPot module, I intend to enable the Moodle filters, and also link to glossary terms and a whole host of other improvements. I will being that work next week and expect the new module to be available by April.

best regards
Gordon
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Josep M. Fontana -
Thanks to everybody that responded and sorry about taking so long in acknowledging your help. I'm in the middle of one of the worse situations a human being can go through (construction work in your home smile) and lacking connection to the internet is the least of my problems.

Josep M.

Multimedia filter problem with Hot Potatoes, revisited.

by Josep M. Fontana -
I was rereading Gordon's answer and I realized that I had not provided you with some necessary information. The way I was trying to insert the Moodle media player was by using the feature 'create or edit a reading text to be included in the exercise'. If I'm not mistaken, this is simply a web page where you can add any text or HTML code and where it is not possible to use use the function Insert -> Media Object that Gordon mentions.

What I did was simply link to an mp3 file (tried both with relative and absolute URLs). Since what the HotPot module generates is a web page (whether you load the HotPotatoes quiz as an HTML file or as a HotPotatoes format file), shouldn't Moodle Flash player be activated automatically if Moodle's multimedia filter is activated? This would make the life of our professors a bit simpler since introducing the code for the Flash players (plus uploading the flash players to Moodle) is slightly more complicated than simply linking to an MP3 file.

Josep M.

Re: Multimedia filter problem with Hot Potatoes, revisited.

by Martin Holmes -
It's not directly relevant to this issue, but you CAN use Insert / Media Object in the Reading Text screen in HotPot. You have to make sure the cursor is in a text box, otherwise the menu will be greyed-out because it doesn't know where to insert anything.

Cheers,
Martin
In reply to Martin Holmes

by Josep M. Fontana -
OK, thanks very much, Martin. That's nice to know. I'd still like to know whether the Moodle multimedia filter would work with a link to an mp3 file in the Reading Text screen, though, because, as I said, for most users this would be the least complicated method.

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Josep,
sorry if I wasn't clear before. The current HotPot module does not apply the Moodle filters at all, so a simple link to a mp3 in the Reading Text screen would NOT be converted to a player.

However, the next version of the HotPot module WILL use the Moodle filters, and so in the near future the HotPot module WILL be able to do what you want to do.

hope that's a little better explained smile
Gordon

by Josep M. Fontana -
Thanks Gordon,

It was well explained from the very beginning smile. I just thought that the fact that I was trying to insert it in the Reading Text screen might make a difference.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the next version of the HotPot module.