Forum activity reported as hidden preventing use by students

Forum activity reported as hidden preventing use by students

by Andrew Steele -
Number of replies: 1
We have just identified a strange issue with a course based around a social forum.

The teachers can access the forum without any problem but students receive the following error message whenever they try...

Sorry, this activity is currently hidden

Clearly the forum message summaries are visible to all. But a student gets this error message when trying to add a new discussion, reply to a discussion and read the rest of the message where the original message is longer than the summary screen.

This does not appear to be an issue with any other forum on our Moodle site.

We are running Moodle 1.7+ (2006101008)

There must be something simple to re-set but so far I've not found it. Should say I checked in the activity set up and the Forum activity is set to be visible (not hidden).

Burst of inspiration gratefully received.

Andrew

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Steele

Re: Forum activity reported as hidden preventing use by students

by Andrew Steele -
Well, I finally located the problem so I can answer my own question...

I discovered that within the course, there had been a list of social activities. This had been removed from the course 'desktop'. When it was restored it was clear that the social forum had been set to hidden in that list. So, as well as hidding the social forum in the list of social activities (expected result) it also prevents students from contributing to the forum (although they can read the summaries of the messages (unexpected result).

Andrew