moodle,IIS,MySQL installation problem

moodle,IIS,MySQL installation problem

by Web Developer -
Number of replies: 4

Dear All,

I am trying to install moodle using IIS webserver ,how can i do that i tried to but i face a problem which tell me

We could not connect to the database you specified. Please check your database settings.

shall i create the moodle database manually and where can i find it?

or is ther any package like the easy PHP to install on IIS?

thanx in advance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Web Developer

Re: moodle,IIS,MySQL installation problem

by Dennis Flynn -

You didn't give a whole lot of detail, so I'm going to assume you're running IIS, PHP, and MySQL all on the same computer.

Create your MySQL database and create a user with appropriate privileges to access/modify the database.  You could use a tool such as phpMyAdmin to do this.

Then during moodle setup, specify the database and user you created.

In reply to Dennis Flynn

by Web Developer -

yes,i am running all on the same computer and i am using phpMyAdmin  but i found this problem

Error

MySQL said: Documentation

#1045 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
so what to do?
i used  "mysql-4.1.7-essential-win",and "php-4.3.9-installer"
and i i have IIS6.

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Your database version should be at least 4.1.16 to install moodle 1.6 or moodle 1.7.

You could try to install moodle 1.5.4

by Dennis Flynn -

First off, I'd recommend anyone learn how to do the manual installations of MySQL and PHP.  It's not difficult to read how to do it, and it gives you a better understanding of how it works.  Having used the installers is probably fine, however I wouldn't try using an older version of MySQL than what is specifically stated as a requirement.

Notice that MySQL said access denied for root with no password.  Though it would probably be better to implement the cookie authentication method, in your phpMyadmin config file, you can enter the username of root AND the password.  If you don't enter the password, phpMyadmin will try to use no password, which (as you found) won't authenticate and will deny you access.

After you fix this and get logged into phpMyadmin, create a new database for moodle, then click on privileges and create a new user.  Don't give this user any permissions when you first create it (i.e. at the root level), but then give the user all permissions to your moodle database except Grant.  Then use this new username and password for your moodle installation.

Good Luck