Why can't I get Japanese to appear normal on my Moodle?

Why can't I get Japanese to appear normal on my Moodle?

- Terence McDonough の投稿
返信数: 7
Hi everyone. I have had no luck getting Japanese to be readable on my new 1.2 site. Using Mac 10.3, Explorer 5.2 browser. Preferences seem OK and installed OK, I think. All I get is bakemoji (scrambled garbage) where the Japanese text should be. But for some reason, when I view this forum, I can read all the Japanese fine. Any ideas? Much appreciated, terry
Terence McDonough への返信

Re: Why can't I get Japanese to appear normal on my Moodle?

- Timothy Takemoto の投稿
It may depend upon the default settings of the server where your site is. For instance if you are using apache, it is important not to set the default character code to one suitable for European languages. My commericial site does not do this. There was a default in my apache server that I had to change before Japanese was displayed properly on my own server. Others (Don) recommend setting the server defaults to Japanese, for servers that will be mainly serving Japanese web sites. That seems reasonable. Where is your site?
Timothy Takemoto への返信

- Don Hinkelman の投稿
There may be a simple solution. A colleague of mine reported that there was *no* /lang/ja folder in my new Moodle 1.2 installation. That is very odd. After downloading the ja.zip folder and adding it to my moodle/lang folder things seem better, though I get minor mojibake here and there.

Also Hideto Hirashima reports that Martin gave him a special en_ja language pack that solved all problems. I also want it but it is not on Moodle downloads. I asked Hideto for a copy but he doesn't know how to get anything off of his non-GUI Linux machine. I asked Martin for a copy yesterday and am waiting to hear from him.
Don Hinkelman への返信

- Terence McDonough の投稿
Thanks for the reply. I do have the Japanese language pack installed. I can read this forum page fine. The problem seems to be local or server based. Thanks.
Timothy Takemoto への返信

- Terence McDonough の投稿
Thanks for the reply. My server is in Hong Kong I think. It is probably set for European languages. I will see if there is a default on the server that I can have changed. I hope it works.
Terry
Terence McDonough への返信

- Don Hinkelman の投稿
The new language pack, en_ja, is now available at the moodle.org site, language downloads section
Don Hinkelman への返信

- Terence McDonough の投稿
Still no luck. I installed the new en_ja pack but to no avail. It made things worse so I took it out. I am working with my host server company to see if the problem is at their end.
悲しい
Terence McDonough への返信

- Don Hinkelman の投稿
Hi Terence,
After you put the en_ja language folder into the lang folder of moodle, did you do the following steps?

1.  Go to Admin >> Configure >> Variables   and type   en_ja,ja   into the "langlist".  Or add more languages you wish to show to users in the list.  Save.
2.  Go to Admin >> Configure >> Variables   and set  en_ja   as the "default language".  Save.
3.  Go to Admin >> Configure >> Language   and set  English - EUC-JP (en_ja) as the "Current Language" 

I am not sure of the particular order of those steps or if all of them are absolutely necessary, but after I did all of the above, I noticed my en_jp then began to work.  I now have no mojibake.

But please note, when switched in Japanese mode, I noticed the kanji for the day of the week did not appear (see attached file).   Did anyone else have this happen?
添付 screenshot_05.jpg