Teacher Forum in Moodle 1.7

Teacher Forum in Moodle 1.7

per Manuel de la Torre,
Number of replies: 3
Hello,

I am will like to add a Teacher's Forum in Moodle 1.7 but I can't. I know that I need to use a General Forum and apply the new roles system so only the Teacher Role can use the forum.

But I really don't know how to do that, can somebody help me!

Thanks,

Manuel.
Average of ratings  -
In reply to Manuel de la Torre

Re: Teacher Forum in Moodle 1.7

per Marty Jacobs,
There are 2 ways to setup a "teacher only" forum (or any resource or activity for that matter).

The quickest way is to hide the forum from the students and make sure all staff that need access to the forum are assigned the role of teacher in the course.

To do this, first turn editing on. Next click the eye icon next to the forum you want to hide. This will close the eye and turn the link grey. The forum will now be invisible to students, but staff will still be able to see it and use it as normal.

The disadvantage to this method is the fact that some teachers think because the link is grey/faded it isn't active (either that or they just have bad eye sight!).

Alternatively, you can use the new roles architecture in 1.7 to prevent students accessing the forum. However, they will still be able to see the link to the forum (unless you hide it of course). The benefit of this method is that the text is not greyed out and you can tweak permissions for individual roles.

To set up the access rules, go to the forum and click the "Update this Forum" button. Next click the "roles" tab followed by the "overrides roles" tab. Under the "Forums" section select prevent for all the permissions and click "Save changes."

Hope this helps,

Marty

In reply to Marty Jacobs

per luca marcovati,
In reply to luca marcovati

per Marty Jacobs,

Thanks for pointing that out luca. Just to clarify:

Hiding a forum doesn't stop a student veiwing the posts in the forum via the teacher's profile page unless you apply the overrides to the student role for the forum as well (see my previous post for details).

Marty