Linux Newbie Stares At Command Prompt

Linux Newbie Stares At Command Prompt

by Eric Malone -
Number of replies: 13
Hello,
I just installed Ubuntu Linux server, LAMP installation and I can connect to the apache server on my other computer in the web browser.

I have also download moodle from ftp with the get command, but I don't know where it went or how to extract it to where it needs to go (which I also don't know). I am about to install the gui version of ubuntu because I simply can't function efficiently like this!

I also need to know if this is the best way to do a remote server and how I can administer this server from a different location. I was planning on doing vnc with ubuntu graphical, but this is different.

Please help.

Eric

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Malone

Re: Linux Newbie Stares At Command Prompt

by Tony Hursh -
but I don't know where it went

Probably in the same directory where you ran the ftp command.

how to extract it

Depends on whether you got the tar (tgz) or the zip package.

tar version:

tar -xzvf moodle-latest-17.tgz

zip version:

unzip moodle-latest-17.zip

where it needs to go

Ubuntu keeps its web root in /var/www, so you need to move the moodle folder you just unpacked into that folder. Do that with:

sudo mv moodle /var/www

(enter your admin password when prompted).

That should do it. Your Moodle installation should be accessible at http://(server address)/moodle.

I am about to install the gui version of ubuntu because I simply can't function efficiently like this!

Some of us would argue that this is more efficient than fooling around with a GUI. smile

The problem is that you have to invest a lot of time up front to learn all this stuff. If you're going to be hacking on servers, writing code, etc. on a regular basis, it's well worth it. If you're not, you may be better off using the GUI.

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Tony Hursh -
Here's what's going on with this stuff:

tar -xzvf moodle-latest-17.tgz

The tar program is a very powerful system for bundling, unbundling, archiving, etc. files.

x = extract (because we're extracting files from the archive)
z = this is a compressed archive
v = verbose (print lots of information about what's going on)
f = input is coming from a file, as opposed to a tape or some other source (tar was originally designed to backup and restore to tapes, hence Tape ARchive -> tar).

unzip moodle-latest-17.zip

This one should be pretty straightforward. Unzip unpacks a zip archive.

sudo mv moodle /var/www

sudo tells the system to run whatever comes next as administrator. This is necessary because the web root is probably owned by the Apache user.

mv = move

moodle = the moodle directory (folder) that you just unpacked.

/var/www = where to move it.

I hope this helps!

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Hi Tony,

all correct except that path if he has LAMPP installed...

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Tony Hursh -
Ah.... he said LAMP (one P) so I was taking it as a standard Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP setup.

Yes, LAMPP (two P's) is different.

In reply to Eric Malone

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Hi Eric,

if you have installed LAMPP the webroot is usually /opt/lampp/htdocs/

and you find php.ini from

/opt/lampp/etc/php.ini

From http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html you find basic information of LAMPP. I have debian linux myself but with google you find lots advice how to use Ubuntu, for example http://www.schoolforge.org.uk/index.php/Installing_Moodle_on_an_Ubuntu_workstation

LAMPP is really quick to install but a little bit restricted. In linux the traditional way is to install programs separately with apt-get install program but you may also unpack moodle using tar (or move using ftp for example) to some folder like /opt/lampp/htdocs/moodle and install it using browser as usually http://yourserver/moodle or http//localhost/moodle

There are many excellent documents about installing moodle to different linux version like http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT4392353051.html

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Eric Malone -
Thanks for all the help!
In reply to Eric Malone

by Eric Malone -
I actually have another question... I went ahead and installed the regular version of ubuntu and Apache is up working fine. The thing is, it wont let me login as root, it says "I can't do this here"...

I think that the gui is great because I can do things easier/faster also it has vnc built in! (can I login as root from VNC?)

Thanks!
In reply to Eric Malone

by Eric Malone -
Well, I figured out how to login as root (had to change the gnome config file). Now I also tried VNC and unlike windows, with linux... when I am logged out, VNC just doesn't work... I have to be logged in to be able to access the computer... is there any way to login remotely (to gnome) so I can then use VNC freely?
In reply to Eric Malone

by Eric Henson -

Is your linux set to "run level 3"?  If so, you probably need to use Putty to remote console in to "startx" which starts the GUI, and then you can VNC in.

There might be a better way, but this is how I do mine.

In reply to Eric Malone

by Mikel Stous -
In Ubuntu root is "disabled" until you type in sudo passwd root on the command line from your admin account (the 1st account created).

You can then log in as root from the console.

You never want to be able to login via telnet or ssh as root. Always login as yourself, then use sudo commands or su to root.

Mikel

In reply to Eric Malone

by Mikel Stous -
I have a new Ubuntu server install document put up that might be helpful.

Also, I would recommend Webmin as an admin web interface. My clients find it very easy and I can give them enough access to do backups and such without the possibillity of messing up MySQL or email and such.

Mikel