Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Quizzing

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Quizzing

by Mark Schneider -
Number of replies: 11

The ADA provides guidelines and requirements to adapt educational and work environments to eliminate barriers for those with special needs or requirements.

One area of adaptation involves the provision of extended times for timed activities.

If a Moodle Quiz is set for 10 minutes then how can we enable a student protected under ADA to extend the limit to 20 minutes?

It must have been addressed by somebody someplace.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Schneider

Re: Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Quizzing

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This is being done for Moodle 1.8 which we hope will be released quite soon.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Bruce Brorson -
With many of our distance delivery classes we use timed exams instead of requiring a proctor. It's worked well for us, but meeting the ADA requirements, as well as being supportive of international students where English is a second language, has become a significant challenge.

We have 1.83 in production, but I still do not see a means for extending the time for an individual student on a specific quiz, or globally extending the time for a student across a course or within the system. Am I missing something, or is there a solution out there somewhere for us?

Any help would be appreciated.

In reply to Bruce Brorson

by Ray Lawrence -
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Bruce Brorson -
Ray, thanks for the reference but that doesn't really accomplish what I need. I do not want to ignore the time limit all together, I simply want to provide additional, not unlimited, time to a specific group with documented needs.

Any other ideas, or is this a feature request I need to file?

In advance, thanks for the help.
In reply to Bruce Brorson

by Ray Lawrence -
OK. That would need to be a feature request. I've not checked if there is already one for this. When you've made the request in the tracker post the number here so that others can discuss/vote for it. smile
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Ray - This request has come up numerous times and yet surprisingly I had never added it to the tracker or if I did I could not find an issue for it. Thus, I have created MDL-14234 listing some of the various discussions in which this issue has come up. Please feel free to vote and comment on this issue. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Matt Campbell -
I beat you to the punch on this, Anthony, back in November 2006. MDL-7315, so I've gone ahead and linked these two issues. They seem to cover the same issues, but different people are involved and it may be helpful to have all their inputs on this.

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Matt Campbell

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Matt - I was pretty certain it was familiar but when I searched the tracker I couldn't find it. Thanks for linking the issues together. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Mark Schneider

by Jestin VanScoyoc -
I have a related question. I am currently using moodle 1.5 Is there a way to assign special quizzes for my special needs students? I teach in an inclusive middle school classroom and I don't want it to be too obvious that Johnny takes a test with 3 multiple choice answers and Timmy take a quiz with 4 multiple choice answers -- or some other adaptation. Currently if i made a Geology Quiz Form A and Geology Quiz Form B and told kids which one to take it would single out the special needs students.

Thanks