feedback for 1.7 is ready

feedback for 1.7 is ready

by Andreas Grabs -
Number of replies: 37
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hello,

I'm happy to say the feedback-module is ready for moodle 1.7.
Before you use it in a production-system it should be well tested. There may be some small bugs and/or missing lang-strings.
Here the main changes:
  • the installation now uses the install.xml
  • roles are full implemented
    • view
    • complete
    • deletecompleteds
    • mapcourse
    • edititems
    • viewreports
    • createprivatetemplate
    • createpublictemplate
    • deletetemplate
  • now radiobuttons and checkboxes can be aligned horizontally or vertically
  • radiobuttons now have an option "not selected", so the user can deselect a previous done selection.
  • there is a new item-type "numeric" what can save unsigned numeric values.
    You can define a range (from - to) the user has to keep.
  • now you can insert pagebreakes
  • a feedback what is switch to the next page is saved temporary. the user can cancel the completion and later continue at the last filled page.
    (Except the guest-users of course)
  • now you can ex-/import feedbacks into/from a xml-file
  • course-reseting is supported
You can download it here: feedback_17.zip
Important: this version of feedback-module only runs on moodle 1.7.x or later. It definitly does not run on moodle 1.6.x or earlier.
Of course you can import courses from versions before without any problems.
Thanks at all for the many good suggestions.

Best regards
Andreas
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andreas Grabs

Re: feedback for 1.7 is ready

by Andreas Grabs -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Sorry, the link above is wrong.

here is the correct link.

feedback_17.zip

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks for your continued work on this module. I look forward to testing it out. Peace - Anthony

by Sakis Zafeiropoulos -

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for great job. I have used feedback 17 in moodle18 and works fine.

How can I change the distance between the questions to the page where the questions are viewed in the students?

It would be useful to a next version of feedback, a rated numbered question just like questionnaire. Is there in your plans something like this?

Thanks again.

Sakis

by Art Lader -
Thank you so much, Andreas.

It is great that you keep improving this module.

Regards,
Art

by Imre Dinnyes -
Thanks Andreas! I will use your module in a training company!

My Q: when I use export function (for Excel) the charachters (ő, ú, ó, í - hungarian spec.) are not right. Can you give me any idea to adapt your module to hungarian characters too?

The problem is the same for Questionaire modul...

Imi
In reply to Imre Dinnyes

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Imi,

the current download now includes a change for your request. I'm hoping it is working for your language. I only tested it with de_utf8. But I'm optimistic smile.

Andreas

by Imre Dinnyes -
Hi Andreas!

I think, it works fine!! Many thanks for your instant help! With Questionaire module i have the same problem. Do you have any suggestions?

Imi
In reply to Imre Dinnyes

by Attila Paksi -

Hi Imi and Andreas!

I had the same problem at some modules. The main problem is, that the data schould be saved in utf-8 format! But usually they are in unicode, or something like that...

I had to search for that special php file, where the module writes the data to the database. There I needed to insert a function, which transfers the data to utf-8 char. coding.

I had that problem at the massage module (moodle 1.6), but with the newest moodle install, the problem disappered.

Except questionnare module sad

Attila

by Fred Quay -
It sounds as if it were a very consistent update with improved functionalities. Thank you, Andrea.

by Carl Hodkinson -

Thanks for this Andreas. A lot of people will be extremely pleased to see this out for 1.7.

Carl

by Heather P -
Hi
not sure if you can help with this one. We had the feedback module working and running in version 1.5.2 and we are trying to upgrade to version 1.7.1
The implication is that the database has table/s for the feedback module if I don't copy the old feedback module across (because it doesn't work in moodle 1.7.1) before the upgrade what happens to the database, alternatively if I tried to put your new version in instead, again what would happen to the database?
Perhaps I'm better to take the module out before I start the upgrade process. Perhaps if I hadn't seen your post I could have continued in ignorant bliss!
Thanks
Heather
In reply to Heather P

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Heather,

the safest way is to deinstall the feedback before you do an upgrade. But if you have many course with feedbacks so it is not the best.
  1. Download the following current version (just updated!)
  2. copy the files over the old version (before you do an upgrade to moodle 1.7.x
  3. do the upgrade to moodle 1.7.x
    the feedback should be upgraded automatically
I'm hoping it helps.

Andreas

by Heather P -
Cheers. I think I'd best find out how much the module is being used and then give your suggestions a try. If I'm lucky it won't be too many times just in case, or at least not on every Moodle I have!
Thanks
Heather

by Dan Jeffries -
hey

can you answer a question?

is it possible for a student to look at their feedback answers once they've submitted them? we use feedback for self-assessment and students set themselves targets which we want them to review in their own time.

many thanks for such a great block!

DJ
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Dan,

if you define the feedback as nonanonymous and allow multiple-submit so the students every time can reopen their feedback with the last set values and are able to change the values.
I'm hoping it is what do you mean.

Andreas

by Manuel de la Torre -
Andreas,

Feedback is working great in Spanish es.UTF8. I have only one question...

Is it possible to save/export into a file the questions of a feedback, so I can import it later. I am asking this because I will like to import into our production server the feedback I created in my testing server...

Gracias,

Manuel.
In reply to Manuel de la Torre

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Manuel,

there are some reasons for this. If your testing server is with moodle 1.7.x you could use the export/import function from the feedback. This you will find at the editing page for items. If your testing server 1.6.x or earlier so you can backup the course with your feedback and restore it into your production system.

Andreas

Re: feedback - having trouble using under moodle 1.7.1

by Chris Meyer -
I got the latest files. I placed them in the corresponding Moodle directories. I made sure rights were correct. I went into /admin and it seemed to install fine.

I go in as an administrator and go to add an activity. 'Feedback' is available. I go through the first screen and give it a name, description, dates to work, etc. Then I go to save and the next screen says: "Could not add a new instance of feedback"

This pretty much stops me. The item does not show up.

Any ideas? I am running Fedora Linux 6.0. Moodle 1.7.1
mysql ver 5.0.27
php ver 5.1.6

Everything else seems to be working well.
In reply to Chris Meyer

Re: feedback - having trouble using under moodle 1.7.1

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi,

was there running a earlier version of feedback before? Can you send me a dump of the structure from table mdl_feedback?

Andreas

by Chiang Sabrina -

Hi, Andreas

OHOH!

I installed the feedback module sucessfully! I creat a feedback about 25 questions for my student, but why my student can't see any question( if I set "User's Names Will Be Logged and Shown With Answers ") ? Just only feedback title ! (But if I choose anonymous , it can show "answer the question.." buttom)

http://www.cps-eclass.info/moodle17/mod/feedback/view.php?id=7

by Manuel de la Torre -
Hello Andreas,

I am attaching to this post a new Spanish (es_utf8) language file for Feedback module (1.7). There are some modifications to the previous file, with the most important been the name of your module in Spanish (retroalimentación). Which is the correct translation.

There were several empty fields, an now everything is translated.

Also I am attaching in the same file all the Spanish help files for Feedback.

Manuel.

In reply to Manuel de la Torre

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Manuel,

thank you very much. I included it into the current download.

Andreas

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Hi Andreas,

In testing the feedback mod I came across a funky lang string that needs fixed.

in complete.php line 478 and complete_guest line 375

(feedback is already submitted, feedback)

I think it should be: (this_feedback_is_already_submitted,

Svar: feedback for 1.7 is ready

by Martin Samuelsson -
We're trying out Feedback in Moodle 1.8, and have encountered a peculiar thing that we do not fully understand.

It seems like a student who is a member of the course can take the survey and have the answers saved to the database.

It seems like a teacher who is a member of the course can take the survey and have the answers saved to the database.

Those two feel straightforward enough.

It seems like an administrator can not take the survey at all. This looks consistent with the answer in http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=27556#p250790 , and is logical.

It seems like an administrator who has switched to the student role and is a member of the course can take the survey, but the answers are silently dropped instead of inserted into the database. This looks somewhat consistent with the above mentioned answer, but caused a bit of confusion for us and our customer.

The last case, with an administrator posing as a student and having the answers thrown away, is it by design or by mistake? If it is by design, would it be possible to include a text somewhere around the submit button telling the administrator/student that the answers will be discarded?

Moodle: 1.8
Apache, postgres.

by Daniele Cordella -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Is the 1.7 release compliant with moodle 1.8?
If no: are you planning to update this module for moodle1.8?
In reply to Daniele Cordella

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I installed Feedback for 1.7 on my 1.8 test server without incident. I have not thoroughly tested it but initially it seems to work fine.
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Angela Roberts -
I am using feedback 1.7 in 1.8 beta. So far so good. However, when I have feedback turned on so that students can see the results, it doesn't show the results. I can't figure out how to show the results to students.

Any suggestions?

In the options I have "Show analysis to students" turned on.

thanks

Problem installing 1.7

by Len Hatfield -
Hi--

Feedback 1.7 looks to be a great tool that will serve our needs very well, but I'm having troubles installing on our Moodle 1.7+ (2006101007) running on OS X 10.4 server.

Following the directions, I put the various files in their places in /moodle/mod/feedback, /moodle/blocks/feedback, and so forth. Then I log in to the moodle as admin. Nothing happens until I click on the Notifications link; then the various installation steps are reported as being successful.

But when I then go to modules and select activities, although Feedback is listed, there's no link for settings or anything but the choice to hide/display it, and the choice to delete it (see attached image).

I've uninstalled/reinstalled several times, removing all hints of feedback from the system and double checking permissions each time, but no luck.

Suggestions?
In reply to Len Hatfield

Re: Problem installing 1.7

by ned moltoya -
that is not the place to activate an activity

just turn editing on on any page when logged in as administrator and select feedback from the activity drop down box where it appears
In reply to ned moltoya

Thanks, and. . .

by Len Hatfield -
Thanks, Ned--I'm embarrassed to be caught in such moodle-ignorance!

Still: for others who are newbies to Moodle and this fine module, it would be a help to add this last step to the README. mixed

Best,

by Sakis Zafeiropoulos -
Hi Andreas,
thanks for great job.
I have setup the current version in my Moodle 1.7 and works fine.
I have a few questions.

1. How can i increase the number of characters of the text field of an item(e.g check)?
  2. In my setup all feedback words are displayed between ..(e.g check_values use_one_line_for_each_value). In the Activities Tab the feedback is displayed with name modulename. Did i made something wrong?
  3. Can i put 2 items(questions) in the same line? just like the sample ().
  4. Are you going to post any updated version with more themes?
  5. I am looking forward to use a module (i have tested questionnaire too) to create surveys for at least 1000 students and i am going to use it for the next 2-3 years. Do i have support for the next years if i choose feedback?

In reply to Sakis Zafeiropoulos

by ned moltoya -
Hi Andreas,

since I switched from php4 to 5 I can't import questions any more. It tells me:

Failed to loading XML

It used to work with php4 (with the exact same set of questions)

Also, with debugging set to max (developer), I get these 3:

1. Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /www/www.learn2speak.eu/mod/feedback/show_entries.php on line 87

(when viewing submitted feedback as administrator)

2. Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /www/www.learn2speak.eu/mod/feedback/complete.php on line 444

(in the feedback form for the student)

3. Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /www/www.learn2speak.eu/mod/feedback/item/picture/lib.php on line 296

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /www/www.learn2speak.eu/mod/feedback/item/picture/lib.php on line 297

(when inserting questions from a template)

thanks,
Ned

by Jo Strebel -

Hi Andreas

Thanks for the feedback module. I'm a newbee and the installation worked well, thanks again.

As soon as I try to really "feedback bearbeiten" it still works well, and for "elemente hinzufügen" too

http://moodle.lernselbst.ch//mod/feedback/edit_item.php?id=20&position=1&typ=label

until I want to save my first element:

http://mod/feedback/edit_item.php?id=23&position=1&typ=dropdownrated

then all I get is a "can't find that page"

What am I doing wrongly or haven't I understood in the workflow or might be ...

Thanks for any hints