"Who's On Skype" updated for 1.7 (Skype Presence Block)

"Who's On Skype" updated for 1.7 (Skype Presence Block)

by Matt Crosslin -
Number of replies: 19
Due to the new roles system, the Skype presence block was not working. Here is the updated files that should work with Moodle 1.7. The lang files haven't changed, just the files in the blocks/skype folder. Let me know if anyone runs into any bugs.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Crosslin

Re: "Who's On Skype" updated for 1.7 (Skype Presence Block)

by Juvenal Sahiri -
Matt,
I posted this question once (was responding to Matt Pratt) and never heard back. Here goes:
"Regarding Skype plugin in Moodle, if one is using Moodle in a Local area network and is not connected to the internet, can students registered in a course / teachers logged in Moodle (localhost installation) from their respective computers use skype to talk to each other if they have their skype parameters registered in their profile?

Had always thought that Skype presence detection goes through Skype servers, thus requires a connection to the internet.

Why am I asking this question? Here is a scenario where Moodle on LAN with no internet connection might appliy: Think of Moodle being used in a secondary school which doesn't have a permanent connection to the internet but has a LAN and where the installation is on a localhost."

Thanks
Juvenal
In reply to Juvenal Sahiri

by Matt Crosslin -
That's a great question. I really don't know that much about networks, or the inner workings of Skype. The only thing I would know to say on that one is try it out and see. Maybe use a test course and a couple of guinea pig students? smile

Anyone else that can offer insight into this?

by Juvenal Sahiri -
Matt,
I'll definitely test this and share the result. Will disconnect from the internet and have 2 students with skype accounts both logged in their skype and see if they are announced to each other. Theoretically, they don't need to be buddies in this case since the skype block configuration requires that one goes into privacy and enable to be seen on the web. If this doesn't work, I'll test also with both accounts being in each other contact lists and see.

I want to ascertain basically the extent to which skype can be decentralized. I read somewhere that the buddy's list gets populated across members who are online so as to reduce bandwidth cost.

I know of a pure P2P application that enables 2, 3 ... n persons on a LAN to see each and exchange email without going through a central gateway of sort. I'll investigate how it can be integrated in Moodle as it would solve all the problems that are reported about the messaging/email functions.

Juvenal

by Juvenal Sahiri -
Matt,
Copied Skype block and langs in the respective directory (Moodle 1.7, winxp). Clicked on Notifications and got:
Module skype: C:\xampplite\htdocs\moodle/mod/skype/version.php was not readable

In reply to Juvenal Sahiri

by Juvenal Sahiri -
My bad. Had copied the block in the mod directory instead of the block directory.

by Clark Moodler -
Hi, thanks for this block!

I have downloaded, followed directions, but can't seem to get the Skype block to show up in the Admin panel as per instruction #4.

Do I need to reset Moodle 1.7 or something first? Cron job? (I don't even know exactly what that is.. ;)

I'm running Moodle on a remote shared server via Hostmonster.com, not sure if that makes a difference or not...

In reply to Clark Moodler

by Clark Moodler -
Hi all,

so i found another post that stated that you need to click on "Notifications" in order to finalize the installation of this, and it was correct.

(prior to that, i was getting an error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: get_context_instance() in
/moodle/blocks/skype/block_skype.php
on line 66

Now, after running notifications, it shows up in the blocks, with the name:

blocktitle

And that's how it always shows up on the screen.
Can I fix this somehow in the block_skype.php file and reupload?

thanks,
clark

by Matt Crosslin -
blocktitle means that the language file hasn't ben installed. Make sure you put the lang file in the "en_utf" folder.

by Clark Moodler -
I had put the block_skype.php file in the lang/en folder - but once I put the same file into the lang/en_utf8 folder it worked! Thanks!
clark

by Wen Hao Chuang -
BTW, have anyone tried this with 1.8 beta yet? Just curious...
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

by Akash Garg -
Just found an easy way of putting a skype presence block on the front page and wanted to share it with others.

1. Go to www.skype.com and click share
2. Choose buttons and widgets and then 'skype me' buttons.
3. Select the type of button you want to appear on your site and copy the html code.
4. Login to your site as administrator and add a new label in the main menu.
5. Choose the html editing mode by clicking <>
6. Copy the html code and save changes.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

by Chad Outten -
ive got this block working nicely in 1.8
In reply to Chad Outten

by Clark Moodler -
Hi All,

I'm also using this in 1.8.4, however, I'm wondering how I can get it to work on the Frontpage so that it shows all users - currently it only shows Admins.

Any idears?

thanks,
clark

by Clark Moodler -
Wow, I actually changed a setting in the block_skype.php file and got this to work myself. Can't believe it!

on line 71:

$SQL = "SELECT userid FROM {$CFG->prefix}role_assignments WHERE roleid = '3'";

instead of roleid = 1

cheers,
clark

by Guido Hornig -
Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks - It works nicely,

one little glitch:
The breadcrumb is loosing the course name, if I put the block into a course.

Thanks a lot

The file I uploaded is the german translation:

In reply to Guido Hornig

by Guido Hornig -
Picture of Plugin developers
It shows the skpe presence of the teacher very well, but it does't show the presence of students.

I use moodle 1.8+
and 0.7 Skype block.

In the users profile, the skype button appears correct.
In reply to Guido Hornig

by Matt Crosslin -
Sorry that I missed this until now. Thanks for the German translation. I have noticed the breadcrumb glitch, and need to get that fixed. The block is currently configured to use the default student role only. Are you using a different role for students? Future versions of Skype presence will give users the ability to choose which roles they want to display as "teacher" and as "student" in the admin settings.

by Peter Diedrichs -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I run 1.9.3, and gets the following message where the block should be: "This SQL relies on obsolete tables! Your code must be fixed by a developer."
The tables were set up properly with the installation.
Anyone?
In reply to Peter Diedrichs

by Peter Diedrichs -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

That was fixed with the latest version of the skype block.
But now there's another problem:
The names shown drectly as online can be skyped via clicking on the link, but beneath there's a link "Students on Skype": http://screencast.com/t/4t20oEAM

When clicking that link the result is as shown here: http://screencast.com/t/IwtUGMUp7HI

Anyone who knows what the problem might be?