Blocks

Picture of Alan Hess
Email Notify Block ?
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi

I'm looking for a possible block to simply show if there are new mails on a separate IMAP mail account which uses the same login details as Moodle. This way students would see if there is new mail upon logging into Moodle. (i.e. "You have mail!) They would then go to the external webmail link to actually read and reply etc.

There doesn't appear to be an existing Add On Block but I think it wouldn't be to difficult to adapt a script such as that at http://webscripts.softpedia.com/scriptDownload/php-IMAP-Mail-Notification-Download-38359.html and link the login info to the Moodle user account.

Anyone game to try writing it?

Regards

Alan

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Dan Jeffries
Re: Email Notify Block ?

Yes this would be massively useful to us too!

We have student email accounts and a direct link in the menu, but they rarely check their college email - and this is where grading and moodle communication often ends up.

Would be awesome if someone could smile

Picture of David Perry
Group Testers
I like the idea too.
I've just banded the idea around my team, but the issue is you either need to store the moodle user's password in the moodle database OR have an administrator login on the LDAP server that can probe any account you give it the username for for new messages.

Picture of Alan Hess
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Dan, David

Thanks for the feedback.

I would have a go myself, but I'm not good at PHP yet and up to my neck in other admin stuff and school restructuring!

In our case we have a very small user base and the Moodle passwords and IMAP (=Linux) passwords are separate but coordinated to be the same. A full function block would have to allow for all the various user account authentication variations LDAP, SHibboleth etc...

Maybe a beta version might just add custom fields for email login info in the Moodle userbase in the manner Anthony Borrow programmed the Birthday Block. This could then be used to query the IMAP server.

In anticipation.

Alan