timing student

timing student

by Setareh Ghahari -
Number of replies: 7

I have a quiz with unlimited time to answer but I need to time students to know how much time they need to answer each one of the questions. I asked them to click on submit after each question. But the problem is that after clicking on "submit" in after answering each question, the page jumps to the top of the quiz.

Is there any way to fix this problem? Or is there any other way to time the students?

Setareh

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Setareh Ghahari

Re: timing student

by Jeff Forssell -
Make the quiz have one (or possibly 2 if they are visible on one page) questions per page.

(But it would be nice if the quiz module could be modified so the focus after a question submit would go directly back to the question with the submit button that was pressed. I don't know if there are any feature requests about this. It's funny how one often sees something annoying and feels like nobody else probably cares until one sees some one else complain about it. Then it becomes "Why hasn't any one done anything about this?!" Hi Tim! Is there any feature request about this? Should we put one in? {I know we already have impossible wish list piled on your desk})
In reply to Jeff Forssell

by Setareh Ghahari -

Hi Jeff,

My problem is that although there is an option to choose to have  certain number of questions in each page in editing quiz but I do not know for what reason it does not work. Any suggestions?

The participants in my program are people with disabilities and the problem of jumping in the quiz is really annoying for them because scrolling down the page is hard not only because of physical disability but also because of memory problems they may do not remember what question they were answering last.

Setareh

by Jeff Forssell -
We MAKE physical disabilities ("mouse arms") by forcing people to do unnecessary repetitive motions!

I've found the questions/page dialog to work fine. Which version of Moodle are you using? (Sometimes MOODLE refuses to change certain things about quizzes that are already in use. I've had to sometimes make a new copy of a quiz (and hide the old one) if I wanted to add a question.)

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Changing the number of questions per page setting after the quiz has been created does not do what you expect.

What you need to do is tick the box "Show page breaks" on the quiz editing screen. (I really must fix this bit of user interface one day.)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Setareh Ghahari -

Hi Tim,

Thanks, It sovles the problem to some extent but the problem is that still students have to click on submit and then click on Next to go to the next page. Am i right?

Setareh

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Just clicking on next is sufficient. That will save as well.

by shawn hamzee -

Setareh,

I actually had this problem with elementary kids. My quiz setup for them was one question per page and that worked just fine; however, just as with your problem, my problem was that the kids had to hit the next button after answering each question whereas it would have been nice to be able to just hit the enter key and advance.

With some help from Joseph, I was able to change the code such that the quiz advances after the kid types the answer and hits the return key. To see what I'd done, check out this.

hope this helps.