Ordering -- All done! (except for the bugs...)

Ordering -- All done! (except for the bugs...)

by Thomas Robb -
Number of replies: 4
Hi everyone,

This is the final version, with all of the functionality that I had previously envisioned except for the drag 'n drop ability that I will leave for someone else with higher technical skills.

The set-up screen for question/item input now includes a pulldown for selecting the method for evaluating the completed quiz: Exact, Relative (later than the previous answer), and Contiguous (should come just before the next answer). See the included evaltypes.html help file (lang/en_utf8/help/quiz/evaltypes.html) for a complete description with illustrative examples.

This version allows the instructor to specify any number of items from the entire set to be displayed as a random subset. Thus, if there are a total of 10 items in the quiz, setting "5" as the number of items to be displayed will give each student a random subset of five of the items. By default, these are graded by the "relative" method, which is the only one that is logically possible.

An additional improvement over earlier versions is the elimination of the "answers" in the item input screen. Since these are completely predictable from the order of the input items, I've simply hidden the answer fields.

To install:

This question type assumes version 1.7+ and will NOT work with earlier versions. All
files are modfications of standard Moodle 1.7+ version files as of 28 December 2006.

To install, place the files contained in each directory in the corresponding directory in Moodle. Warning: DO NOT move the entire directories included here into your Moodle folder or you will delete all of the other contents of the existing directories; only add the files. (The "type/order", "format/gift" and "format/XML" directories exceptions since all of the contained files are provided herein.)

Once you have put these in place, go to your admin directory and Moodle will automatically create the required database tables (question_order & question_order_sub).

For anyone who already upgraded after Dec. 29, 2006, the program should automatically add two more fields to the question_order table. If they are not automatically, added, please add them manually through your database manager.

MySQL Version:
evaltype enum('exact','relative','contig') NOT NULL default 'exact',
numtoshow tinyint(4) NOT NULL default '10'

Postgres7 Version:
evaltype varchar(8) CHECK (type IN ('exact','relative','contig')) NOT NULL default 'exact',
numtoshow integer NOT NULL default '10'

Contact Tom Robb <tom@tomrobb.org> if you have any comments or suggestions for improvements, or better yet, post them here!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thomas Robb

Re: Ordering -- All done! (except for the bugs...)

by ned moltoya -
Hi,

sounds great! Will this show up in the lesson module too?

Any plans to include this in the core?

Ned
In reply to ned moltoya

by Thomas Robb -
I just spent a half-hour looking over the lesson module, and unfortunately, no, it will not work with the current 1.7 version. Although the quiz types in the lesson module look very similar to the quiz types in the quiz module itself, they have been separately coded.

Moodle's long term plan is to make the quiz types available to any module that needs to use them. For this purpose, the actual creation and display of question items has been removed from the moodle/mod/quiz/ area and placed in its own moodle/question directory. Unfortunately, the lesson module still doesn't take advantage of this new functionality.

As far as plans to include the Ordering question type in core, this is my hope, but the decision rests in the hands of Tim Hunt and Martin D. Please, however, vote for MDL-7933 if you would like to encourage them to consider including it!
In reply to Thomas Robb

by ned moltoya -
I voted, thanks
In reply to ned moltoya

by AjnabiZ ... -
Hi

I have also voted for it since it would be realy useful in teaching a particular language.

i would like to know it would work with Arabic language.