Delays delays

Delays delays

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 45
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Sorry about the delays in getting Moodle 1.2 final out the door.

There have been lots of bug reports which is great (that's what Betas are for!) but getting them fixed has been a grind among the usual daily interruptions. We've fixed heaps of bugs in the past week, though: only a small list to go.

I'm hoping for a release tomorrow, but it depends on how things go down at the hospital: I'm having quite a lot of pain at the moment dead (apparently caused by a freak blood clot in my spleen or lung) and will hopefully be getting some X-rays and treatment! wide eyes  I'll take my laptop.  wink
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Delays delays - Do not be concerned about it - It's ready when it's ready.

by W Page -
Martin!!!,

Take care of yourself first.

No one is going to stop using Moodle because Moodle v1.2final is not out tommorrow, next week or next month.

Your health is first.  A blood clot is a serious thing.

Hope you feel better soon.  Take as long as you need to, want to or have to with Moodle.

WP1

In reply to W Page

Re: Delays delays - Do not be concerned about it - It's ready when it's ready.

by Ger Tielemans -

Good Words WP, in the spirit of Moodle: People first, then the rest, even when it is Moodle.

Martin please take care of your self and your family, belief it or not, Moodle can wait. 

Re: Delays delays

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Take it easy, you nutter!!!!!!

It takes other open-source projects about a year to go from beta to release. A bit more of a wait isn't going to bother anybody.

You look after yourself, or there'll be trouble. And you know how much of a pain-in-the-ass I can be evil

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Please take your time Martin, with Moodle, but especialy with yourself (don't understand a thing about the Englisch medical mambjambo, but if it hurts, you have to take care of it).

Moodle 1.2 isn't urgent.

In reply to koen roggemans

by Ray Lawrence -

New task list:

High priority:

1. Fix all of Martin's "bugs".

Low priority

1. The rest

Seriously, that sounds erm.... serious. Put yourself and your family first, Moodle can wait.

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Don Quixote -

Hey Martin,

I totally agree with the previous postings.

Moodle 1.2 will be great and it isn't important if the final release will be tomorrow or next week or two weeks later... It's more important that you take care of yourself. And you did such a gigantic job so far, that the moodle community should rather consider inviting you and your family to spend some days in each of their countries...

Really Martin, don't worry about this...

Cheers and take care.

Andreas

Re: Delays delays.... the metaphor of illness

by Bryan Williams -

Martin,

The metaphoric implication of illness often escapes our western (rational) thinking mind, which views the body as a machine.  Constructivist ideas are ascending in most scientific disciplines, education, the arts and philosophy. New thinking has relegated the mechanistic view to the dustbin of history, but I am sure you know this already as you are one who is in the vanguard of the "next enlightenment."  Leave the laptop at home and take comic books to the hospital, along with a sketch pad and reflective journal. This (blood) situation is an energetic issue, metaphorically speaking.  The inner self will intuitively construct an answer if requested.   Many healing prayers and energy are coming your way about now, all you need do is open and connect with this love.  wide eyes 

Bryan

by Floyd Collins -

Martin

Please and I mean please do not concern yourself with releasing 1.2 you have a family and a life to worry about. Take care of yourself so you can take care of them. My blessings to you! But keep us posted all the same on your progress and while youre gone we will have WP clean up the place, take out the trash and knock out the cobwebs hehe.

by Janne Mikkonen -
Get well first Martin, no worries about realeases, no-ones in a hurry. Beside good things are worth waiting for big grin.

by Dale Jones -
Martin, take it easy.  I hope your laptop is confiscated at the door wink ; time away from the keyboard is always productive because it allows you to rest, and a rested mind can approach problems from a new perspective.  When you get back to it, it will be with renewed vigour, refreshed.  And who set a deadline for 1.2's release anyway?  Don't worry about it, it will happen when it's ready. 
From an holistic point of view, maybe your body's telling you to slow down anyway.  Listen to it.

Best wishes
Dale

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
As others have said, no need to rush. It seems that now is the time you should leave Moodle aside for a while and start moodling (lazily meandering, doing things as it occurs to you to do them...) - you don't need your laptop to do some real moodling. big grin
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Art Lader -
Amen. Attend to your own needs first. Read a book, listen to good music. Stay in bed.

-- Art Lader

by John Gone -
Hey Martin,
Sorry to hear about the blood clot. Unfortunately very long flights have been known to cause this condition. Apparently first-class passengers experience this much less than the rest of us as it's directly related to legroom and inactivity during a long flight. It' probably un-related to this anyway... Hope you get a chance to take it easy for a bit.

Get well soon and all the best,

John 

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Martin,

no problem. Take your time.

Ciao smile

PS: Be careful with your laptop and X-Rays, I can imagine some type of incompatibilities between them. Perhaps a box of lead can help? big grin

by Jordi Adell -
Hi Martin,

Your family needs you. We also need you. Take care of yourself and forget Moodle for some days, please.

j.

by Bernard Boucher -

Hey Martin,

posts seems to show that the laptop is not the most-wanted feature at the hospitalwink

Maybe reading simpsons comics or listening Perth version of  Handel's Messiahsmile

Take care,

Bernard

by D.I. von Briesen -

I'll add a big ditto to everyone's comments here, and add to them that our next semester here in the north (for those of us lucky enough to have summers to ourselves) isn't even until august anyway...

A friend of mine just died of lymphoma - it got him in 5-6 weeks. He worked hard to get where he was - nice house, successful business, a horse - and having arrived, he promptly died.

Let's not (any of us) make that mistake.

d.i.

Svar: Delays delays

by Anders Berggren -

Hi Martin,

Everyone has already said it, health and people come first, not just in urgent situations but always. Moodle is an extreme achievement already, it doesn't need immediate improvements. It can continue to evolve at reasonable pace for a loooong time. The ultimate target group, which I assume are numerous learners globally, will not be on board for a looong time yet anyway. The important thing is they have something really good to look forward to whenever that can be. The rest of us will keep the community going as best we can. So, think only about preserving your health, please. Your health and well-being is worth much more than Moodle. Our thoughts are with you.

Anders

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks for all the truly heartwarming posts approve smile big grin kiss ... turns out it is a blood clot in my lung, almost certainly caused by the recent 60 hours of flying I did. 

I'm actually posting from hospital right now - should be out in a couple of days!  smile    Don't worry, I'm not overworking myself and I am taking this very seriously (but no need for anyone to panic!). 

Mmmm, another morphine shot, sister!  wide eyes

by Joyce Smith -
Martin, do take it easy,we need you !
I have been utterly amazed and indeed
humbled by this tremendous 'lifeforce' you have created for learning. The exponential growth of new moodlers , the advice offered to us 'newbies' 'for free' from a great community of teachers.Every day I learn something new and thank you for creating that opportunity!
I doubt if there are any 'help desks' that would answer a problem call and fix it as swiftly as you do , at 2:00am !!
Heed the good advice from the others ,listen to some music
and look after yourself .
kind regards
JOyce

by David Delgado -
Martin, take it easy. Just relax and recover. No hurries. As I have told you, nobody is running after you. We already have the best Open Source e-learning platform in the World. smile

David Delgado> David makes a "fsck -a -t Genius /dev/Martin" to help him recover wink

by Sean Keogh -
Take it easy you looney!  wink

I know how difficult (and boring) it is to be out of touch when stuck somewhere like hospital, but Take It Easy!  No moodling until the quacks say that you are better.

Get Well Soon!

Oxford Beardie and the moodlers@OXILP

Get well soon

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hello Martin,

Best wishes for a speedy recovery (not speedy in that wide eyes sense) smile

Here are some flowers:

(OK, there was a communication error with the artist: it happens.)

Attachment judith_7_yrs.jpg

by Stig Bjarne Haugen -

I just want to send you some warm thoughts! You truly deserve it. I'm not going to tell you to take care of yourself in this or that way. (When I'm told by many people that I have to do something a particular way, I tend to do the opposite...blunk) You know best.

I wish the best for you, and don't mind us and our Moodle problems. We'll hang around anyway. Good luck, and see you around! *Warm thoughts*

by Hans de Zwart -
Martin, I will you give you the opposite advice of what most of my (also well-meaning) fellow Moodlers are advising you. What they might not understand is that you have a job that you truly love and enjoy. Working on something that is yours, that you conceived and that you love will never make you sick.
Moodle didn't create the problem, it was those damn planes...

Start Moodling, the sooner the better!
In reply to Hans de Zwart

by Don Quixote -

Hi Hans,

hmmmm, very good thoughts. It remembers me what I am constantly saying to my friends when they tell me not to work too much... smile

You're probably right, particularly because I am sure that Martin knows he isn't under pressure from the moodle community. I would like to see that guy who doesn't appreciate Martins great work and the moodle system... (he can contact me here: mail@mailtotrash.ch wink)

Cheers

Andreas

In reply to Don Quixote

by Steven Day -
Hope you're feeling better Martin! Perhaps at some point, we could organize a Moodle cruise!

Take care.

by Debasis Satapathy -
Hi Martin,
Moodle is a open source technology, so it takes time to bug it, but first you have to take care of yourself.Already moodle 1.2 beta version is a nice release so you should not worry rather you should take care of yourself.I pray god you will recover early.

by Antonio Navarro -

As my grandmother always said "The first is the first". Moodle 1.2 of course can waits.

Get well soon dear Martin. 

by Martin Dougiamas -
I'm home again.  smile  I have self-injections to do and plenty of pills to take but everything should be back to "normal" for me very soon.  I actually had FOUR blood clots!  wide eyes

I'll still be taking it easy for a while, but if Moodle 1.2 is not golden by the end of this week I will personally fly to the US and eat this server.   big grin

Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts, there are too many to respond to individually but they are absolutely tremendous - thank you!

by Sean Keogh -
> I'm home again.

Great News!

Four clots?  Eek!  Bad news about the pills and injections, but we are all glad that you are home.

Have a relaxing time (in whichever way suits you best) and we'll see you back on-board later  smile

Oxford Beardie

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Good to here you're back.

In case 1.2 doesn't get ready by the end of the week, I advise you NOT to fly to the US, but to fly the server to Perth and eat it at home. You're just recovering from long flights! grijns

by William Minto -

Martin,

Follow your doctor's orders! If he says get plenty of rest and lay off the caffeine, do it! And as for eating servers ... can I suggest instead sticking to fresh fish and fibrous veggies? I've still got a lot to learn about Moodle 1.2beta, so relax a little on 1.2 final. (My orders). wink

Dr. W. R. Minto

In reply to William Minto

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Martin,

Amidst the deserved well-wishing and the pause to reflect on priorities, I am wondering if we Moodlers are taking for granted a strong health care system that supported your recent hospitalization. Is health care free for self-employed people in Australia? Does Moodle.com subsidize a good health care plan for you and your family? Is the income in moodle.com sufficient to provide for that? Or did you have to go into debt? In some countries, that would be the unfortunate consequence. And if so, isn't this the time for our community to seriously consider how to provide for our lead developer and inspiration. smile

Don
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Martin Dougiamas -
Thanks, Don. No problems, though.

We have a very good public tax-supported health system called Medicare, it works well (though hospitals can be crowded) and most things are completely free for taxpayers. My emergency care and scans on Sunday were under this scheme.

I have private health insurance too for the whole family, which allows use of private hospitals (less crowded and more drugs wink). So for the hospital stay I went to the private hospital (mostly so I could free up a bed in the public hospital for someone who didn't have my options).

by Ger Tielemans -
You must feel happy that you are not a farmer with all these grasshoppers overthere.
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Mark Burnet -
I've often wondered whether locusts are eaten by any culture around the world? thoughtful The farmers could recoup their losses! big grin

by Chris Clark -

Hi Martin,

Do what you love, love what you do...

If the Australian health system lets you down, we've got some great tribal doctors here in Africa for you.... wink

HamaKahle,

Chris

by Jeff Wood -

Oh my GOSH! Don't I feel bad blush

I had just posted a message in the 1.2 beta forum... congratulating everyone on a great job (especially Martin)... and asking when it was due out... Hope I deleted it before it was sent out.

Glad you're home Martin and things are emproving!

Everyone is correct... your health is much more important than anything else.

Get some rest, and know thatwe all wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

Jeff  

by Crafton Williams -
Sorry to hear about your conditions, wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

Crafton