Course Creator headache - New to 1.7

Course Creator headache - New to 1.7

by Steven McKay -
Number of replies: 8
Hi,
Our site is running 1.6.1 right now. I like the idea of the roles as it pertains to a course. Assigning my grader full teacher rights never seemed correct to me.

I currently have 1.7 running in a sandbox, so I can evaluate it before moving.

Course creators is giving me a headache.

In 1.6, I assigned all instructors as course creators, so they could create their own courses (obviously wink However, they did not have any ablility to enter other instructors courses.

In 1.7, they apparently have access to *all* courses, whether they created them or not. This is very bad, in my opinion. I realize this has to do with inheritance from site wide policies, but I don't want to do it.

Is there any way to restrict course coordinators to *just* the activity of creating a course and assigning a teacher (themselves) to it? (I also do not like the way all course coordinators are listed with the teachers in each course.)

If there is not, I think I have two choices.

1. Remove all the course coordinators. Allow the instructors to request a course and assign it by hand. I *really* do not want to do this.

2. Stay with 1.6 until these issues are fixed. I don't really want to do this either, but until it is, I don't see what option I have.

I have read the documentation, and I have played with course creator permissions, but don't see any easy fix. If there is something I am overlooking, please be kind and point me to it smile

Thanks,
S. McKay
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steven McKay

Re: Course Creator headache - New to 1.7

by Thomas Robb -
I was wrestling with this a few weeks ago and received the following advice:

1) Create a new role called C-only (or whatever) and only assign "allow" to "Create courses" leaving everything else as "inherit".

2) Assign this additional role to those who need the ability to create courses at whatever level you want to (entire site or category). It makes no sense to assign it at the course level since you can't create a course within a course.

Does this do the trick for you?
In reply to Thomas Robb

by David Berry -
Seemed like an elegant idea - but I can't get this to work. I presume that the "Create Courses" is the legacy option. Any help gratefully received.

Regards

David Berry
In reply to David Berry

by David Berry -
Typical. A few minutes after posting the question I saw the answer. Little embarrassing really. About half way down the permissions section there is a COURSE subheading. Within that there is the CREATE COURSE option. Nothing to do with the legacy section.

Perhaps I should add something the documentation as penance.

Regards

David Berry

In reply to David Berry

by Chris Armstrong -
David,

You refer to looking "about halfway down the permissions section" to see a COURSE subheading. I am not seeing this at all. I've tried viewing the roles from the root and within courses. I don't see it.

I recently updated to 1.7 (latest) from 1.6.1 and have a huge list of course creators under each of the classes. I've tried removing a user from the Course Creator role and that works until that user logs in. Then he is added back into the Course creator role (and subsequently shows up on all the classes!).

How did you get this to work?

Thanks

Chris

In reply to Thomas Robb

by Mark Hayes -
I tried the approach suggested above by Thomas and it is working. Thank you.
In reply to Steven McKay

by Mark Hayes -
I am having the same issues. Watching this thread carefully.
In reply to Steven McKay

by Cândido Pereira -

This is not a headache, is a real nightmare. I've tried all the recepies I found on this foruns and got a hand full of nothing.