Gradebook displays all students

Gradebook displays all students

by Russ M -
Number of replies: 6
I'm really hoping someone can help me with this little ;) stumbler.
I have the following setup:
Group1  represents one school
Course in Writing
Group2 represents another school
Course in Writing
Teacher1 (Non Editing) 
Student1 
Teacher2 (Non Editing)
Student2
I have created separate groups with enrolment keys for each of the above groups and the "course in writing" That works fine.
What I cannot figure out is this...
When I log in as Teacher1, click on the "Course in Writing" and then view the Grades I would expect to only see the students from Group1 being "Student1" but instead I see "Student1" & "Student2".
When I export the results I only get results for "Student1" so I don't quite understand why I see Students from other groups in the Grades.
The problem with this is that we are supporting Teachers and Students from several different regional schools and a teacher from one school doesn't want or need to see the Students from another school.
So the question... can the Gradebook be set to display to the Teacher only those Students who are enrolled in a particular group?
Cheers
Russ
In reply to Russ M

Re: Gradebook displays all students

by Janet Hale -
This is the same exact thing that I need help with! We also have several course instructors in the same course dealing with different schools. We can get them grouped but when the teacher goes to view the gradebook all the students in the entire course are showing. Is it possible to just show the "group' the teacher belongs to?
In reply to Janet Hale

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Janet!

I am not sure about the groups and how they appear in the export, but I think part of your problem might be that you need to set "force groups" to "yes" in the course settings. When you do that, you should see a drop down box appear in the gradebook interface and you can use that to select all or an individual group of students that you want to view.

It may be that the export picks up that setting as well, but I haven't tried it.

See if making this change helps you!
atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Janet Hale -
Thanks for the reply. winkI already tried that and unfortunatley when you are logged in as a 'teacher' that is not #1 on the list you can't see the "groups" in the gradebook. That toggle feature for groups only seems to show up if you are logged in as teacher one. I have figured out a different way to integrate Surfside Lighthouse upload which is pretty cool so for now that is what we will use for progress reports and grades until the moodle gradebook becomes more sophisticated. We use the moodle gradebook for just the daily assignment grades but then when parents and students need to see bi-weekly progress reports and final transcripts we have an embedded link that pulls up the Lighthouse Data base. Thanks!
In reply to Janet Hale

by A. T. Wyatt -
Aha! That makes sense. In our case, we usually have only one instructor, so I have not any experience with problems multiple instructors may have.

Thank you for increasing my knowledge! That is always useful.

atw
In reply to Russ M

by David Pelletier-Proulx -

I find the same problem.  In one of oue class we have 2 differents groups and 1 non-editing teacher. when the Non-editing teacher goes to see grades he sees all students in the coourse.  BUT...  in the block People when the n.e. teacher click on participants he sees only the students of his groups.

So I assumed it was a bug, and then I find in Moodle Tracker that it is a bug, since version 1.5.2 

I want to try if I can find a workaround with define role and override role, but I think this is a new feature of 1.7. Which version of Moodle you are using?

In reply to David Pelletier-Proulx

by Oksana Delgado -
I fixed this bug (here it is in bug truker) simply adding line
global $group;
to the function grade_get_formatted_grades() ( /grade/lib.php)

I'm using Moodle 1.7