parents access to childs grades

parents access to childs grades

by Julian Young -
Number of replies: 8
Is is possible for parent to access a childs grades and see what work has been assigned , is over dues etc etc.

man thanks

J
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Julian Young

Re: parents access to childs grades

by Art Lader -
Hi, Julian,

Yes. As of version 1.7, you can design a "role" to make this possible - http://docs.moodle.org/en/Roles

I have the impression that this is about 99% ready for prime time.

Hope that helps a bit.

Regards,
Art

In reply to Art Lader

by John Isner -
Exactly how would you define the parent role? I.e., what capabilities would a 'parent' need to be able to view just his/her child's grades?
In reply to John Isner

by Jeff Wood -
Good question.

I don't think roles are the answer (could be wrong)

The only way, I know, for parents to get student marks would be to have them login as their child.

Jeff
In reply to Jeff Wood

by Tim Clayton -

Hi Jeff,

There is a mentee block in moodle and as a mentee you login into the same course as the child and view the gradebook from there.

I am just looking for a way to access all gradebooks from one source i.e. an overall grade book per child

In reply to John Isner

by Alick Brown -
You should find Yu Zhang's post here helpful: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=57812

And doing an advanced search for 'parent' in the 'roles and capabilities' forum may throw up some other useful tips & ideas.

It's a little fiddly but I have got it to work ok with a test account.

Alick
In reply to Alick Brown

by Julian Young -
So does the parent see everything the child sees?

is the parents version read only ?

I take it that parent have to subscribe to all course the student has as well or not.

I need time to test this, but If the have to join the class as i read some ware else but is is easy for the teachers to see who is a parent and who is a real student

JY
In reply to Julian Young

by Alick Brown -
I've only used it on a test basis, so you may get a more expert reply, but in answer to your Qs:
1. Yes -but see 2 below.
2. Yes - assuming you set it up as in Yu' s post in http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=57812.
But you can alter the role settings for 'parent' to allow/disallow what they can see or do.
3. This happens automatically if you link the parent to the student as recommended above.
4. Yes - if you view 'Participants' in the course you can view 'all' or for each separate role - so you can see a list of student participants and a list of parent participants

Setting up the parent role takes a little fiddling with the role settings, but is not difficult - the list of settings is intimidating but those blue Q marks give you the help you should need.
The fiddly bit is that (obviously) you need to allocate each parent to their offspring.

Hope this helps.
Alick

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Julian Young

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes it is possible; however, I have asked that the current listing of grades be expanded to include summary information such as category grades and the overall grade at the bottom. If you are interested you can vote on this issue(MDL-6976). Peace.