A Self-Paced, Timline Independent Course?

A Self-Paced, Timline Independent Course?

by Chris McAllister -
Number of replies: 5
Dear Moodle Community,
I've done searching through the documentation and through the forums and I'm hoping someone can help me with a question I have regarding my usage of moodle.

I'm a motivational speaker, wishing to offer access to my courses, which take the form of a 12 month program. It's modular, so each month is considered one step. I charge access to the site on a monthly basis.

Since I have students who register everyday for this course, and the order of the material is important, so I'd like to ensure that they are given 'trickle' access to each monthly module based on time for each student.

1. Is it possible to provide access to course material in a self-paced manner to students based on their own independent timeline. (e.g. a student registers on December 10th, 2006 and receives access to the first month of modules. After January 10th, 2007 they are provided the second month's module, etc, etc)

2. I've read a little bit about the ActivityLock hacks, would this suit my purposes?
Thank you so much for your assistance. I apologize for the duplication because I have seen other posts similar to mine that have gone unanswered.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris McAllister

Re: A Self-Paced, Timline Independent Course?

by Robert Brenstein -
Conditional activities (activity lock hacks) allow you to chain activities within a course but they don't work at course level AFAIK. So you can use activity locking if your modules are activities or groups of activities within a single course. Otherwise, you can achieve what you need through LDAP or external database (which contain lists of current students for each course) or you can develop your own enrollment plugin to control enrollments. An option to terminate enrollment after 30 days is a standard feature.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Chris McAllister -
Thank you for the reply, that's very useful to me.
As far as we can see, independent timelines for students (truly self-paced) are not available. (e.g A student registers on December 12th, and they have 30 days until the next module is available to them)

Am I correct in suggesting that?

OR: would it be possible to setup the content using either topics or weekly structure, and force the student to write a test and achieve a certain score before moving on to the next set of topics. (Using ActivityLock).

Is it possible to use ActivityLock to hide subsequent resources until a certain score is achieved on a test?

by Robert Brenstein -
Yes, I think it is possible to set up a course, probably using topics format, and set up rules of progressing through it using activity locking. That is exactly what they are for. You need to check the conditional acitvities forum for actual capabilities of the hacks. I believe there are at least two implementations available. I am pretty sure they can be tied to a grade.

by Michael Penney -
You might also want to look into the LAMS/Moodle integration. Sequencing is a big part of LAMS:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=61356
In reply to Michael Penney

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks Michael for pointing the conversation toward LAMS. I had not looked at the LAMS stuff before today but it is impressive and somewhat similar to a lesson. It does require setting up LAMS on a server but it seems to offer more than a lesson in terms of tracking - at least based on a quick look at the two. Peace.