Random Subsets of Questions

Random Subsets of Questions

by Josh Grant -
Number of replies: 2
Hello everyone,
I'm browsing through the forums and documentation trying to figure out exactly how lessons can be structured, but specifically I'd like to know how you can pick 2 questions out of 6, or indeed any subset from a larger question pool (hopefully expandable, like 5 questions from a pool of 10). It's mentioned in the documentation but a walkthrough would be great.
Regards, Josh
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Josh Grant

Re: Random Subsets of Questions

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Josh,
Don't think you can do that in Lesson Module. Just as a double check. In MoodleSpeak, lessons are a specific activity module. However, you might think of a section (topic-week) as a lesson.

That is definately a Quiz Module feature. I am not a quiz expert but you are talking about adding random questions from a catagory. I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong.

In the Lesson module, you can set a jump to go to another random unanswered question. You can set the max attempts at any question. You can set the max number of questions that will be used to score or complete a lesson. There are several ways to randomize questions for a student. These individual features combined still will not give the student a random fixed number of questions from a larger pool.

I hope those links will point you in the right directions - forums are tough places to get a idea of overall process smile

In reply to Chris Collman

Re: Random Subsets of Questions

by Josh Grant -
Cheers Chris,
I'm thinking that if it isn't possible to use clusters in such a manner that you can pull a random subset of questions, the Clusters page, 'When to use clusters' should be changed so as not to be misleading (going through only 2 of the six pages)
On a creative note, if you set up a structure like;

C
Q - all link to EOC
Q
Q
Q
Q
Q
EOC
C - random page in cluster
link to start of first cluster
link to start of first cluster
EOC

Then perhaps you would turn up a scenario where you only run through the category of questions twice by ensuring that the first cluster is only gone through twice.

Of course the problem here is the imaginary link pages, ideally they shouldn't be seen but just act as a redirector... can anyone think of a workaround for this? smile