Blank Pages with 1.2 Beta on RedHat

Blank Pages with 1.2 Beta on RedHat

by Sterling Ledet -
Number of replies: 12

I am getting blank pages on a Redhat install that definitely has index.php working correctly. I believe I've created the mysql database, and modified config.php correctly.

I'm wondering if you have to install the release moodle first before installing the beta.

Could that be my problem?

Is there anyway to test the mysql part and make sure I am using the correct database username and password, etc? I do get OK responses when I run through the install walkthrough, but I'm not a MySQL expert.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sterling Ledet

Re: Blank Pages with 1.2 Beta on RedHat

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
No you don't have to install an previous versions.

Have you read all the FAQ stuff on blank pages? Have you checked your apache error logs to see if any specific errors are generated? Did you load the php-mysql module from the RedHat installation disk - this is NOT installed as a default. If you read the phpinfo output you should look for MySql support.

Its also worth doing a view-source on the blank page just in case something interesting is lurking (it usually isn't).

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If you want to make sure that you have set up your database properly, you can simply log in to mysql using the username and password you have set up, viz...

$ mysql -u moodleuser -p moodle_database
password: moodlepassword

(obviously substituting your info)

You can then do a couple of simple operations like,

> show tables;
> select * from mdl_user;

...but there won't be any tables unless Moodle has run and set them up!!! However, if you get to the mysql prompt without an error you have a good start.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Feliks Dushatsky -

I am having the same issue where I configured everything and checked all the settings in config.php and mysql setup, but when I open the page (http://172.16.1.17/moodle) it's blank.

I even checked the permissions on the moodle folder in the root of the website. I tried all the suggestions in the posts and the FAQ, including the check to see if mysql is supported by php.

We are running RedHat 9.0. I appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thank you.

Feliks

In reply to Feliks Dushatsky

by Howard Miller -
You are 100% sure that the rpm for php-mysql is installed? If you didn't explicitly ask for it during or after the install then it most probably isn't.

as root you can do...

rpm -qa | grep php

to see any/all of the php modules. I get the following on my system...

# rpm -qa | grep php
php-4.2.2-8.0.7
php-imap-4.2.2-8.0.7
php-mysql-4.2.2-8.0.7
php-ldap-4.2.2-8.0.7

you may have different versions but you should have at least php-... and php-mysql-...

Failing that have, you checked the Apache error log? This might/should tell you what went wrong assuming an error occured. In case you don't know, its the file...

/var/log/httpd/error_log

obviously, try to access the site just before you check the log!!

by Feliks Dushatsky -

I'm sorry, you're correct in that I do not have all of the necesary PHP modules.

I am missing the one that is php-mysql-...

PHP came packaged with my system, can you please tell me how I may correct this, so that I'll have the php-mysql-... module installed.

Thank you.

Feliks

by Howard Miller -
Download the rpm from the redhat ftp site. Should be..

http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/9/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/php-mysql-4.2.2-17.i386.rpm

Then *as root* install the rpm like this...

rpm -Uvh php-mysql-4.2.2-17

You *might* get some missing dependencies that mean you have to download and install other rpms first, but it should be ok if mysql is already installed.

by Feliks Dushatsky -

When I tried to install that I do get some failed dependencies:

rpm -Uvh php-mysql-4.2.2-17.i386.rpm
warning: php-mysql-4.2.2-17.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e
error: Failed dependencies:
        libmysqlclient.so.10 is needed by php-mysql-4.2.2-17

I believe that I need to install: "mysql-3.23.54a-11.i386.rpm" to fix this. However I get another failed dependency with this install:

rpm -Uvh mysql-3.23.54a-11.i386.rpm
warning: mysql-3.23.54a-11.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e
        perl-DBD-MySQL is needed by mysql-3.23.54a-11

And here is where I get stuck, I attempt to install "perl-DBD-MySQL-2.1021-3.i386.rpm" from RedHat's site I get the following:

rpm -Uvh perl-DBD-MySQL-2.1021-3.i386.rpm
warning: perl-DBD-MySQL-2.1021-3.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e
        libmysqlclient.so.10 is needed by perl-DBD-MySQL-2.1021-3

This is the first failed dependency I got, it's as if I am going in a circle. I do appreciate all of your assistance, what do you suggest I should do now?

Thanks

Feliks

by Howard Miller -
That's RedHat for you... circular dependencies - nice!

for the Perl module, do this..

rpm -Uvh --nodeps perl-DBD......

That will force it to install it. The you should be able to install the mysql client stuff. See if that helps!

by Feliks Dushatsky -

"rpm -Uvh --nodeps perl-DBD......" did in fact install the package. Because I was able to install this dependency, I was able to install all of the dependencies for php-mysql-.... I thought everything was fixed, but when I tried to access the moodle page: http://172.16.1.17/moodle I get the following error:

Error: Moodle could not connect to the database.

It's possible the database itself is just not working at the moment.

The admin should also check that the database details have been correctly specified in config.php

Database host: localhost
Database name: moodle
Database user: root

I realized that the mysql service was not running. Due to the recent installations, I rebooted the server, and attempted to start the mysql service, but got the following error:

./mysqld_safe
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
040318 13:51:20  mysqld ended

This is odd since mysql is installed in /usr/local/mysql, not /var/lib/mysql.

Should I re-install mysql? or is everything FUBAR now?

by Howard Miller -
Ahhhh.....

The default installation for the mysql executable if installed by RPM is /var/libexec. Soo... if your executable is under /usr/local/mysql somewhere, it implies that your mysql server was not loaded from the redhat rpm - this would be the location if it was compiled from source.

This is a bit tricky... you should probably check what is loaded. If I check for mysql rpms on my redhat system I get...

# rpm -qa | grep mysql
mysql-3.23.54a-4
mysql-server-3.23.54a-4
php-mysql-4.2.2-8.0.7

do you have the mysql-server rpm installed? Also do you know how mysql is started on your system. Again the default is via /etc/init.d/mysqld

Confused? Me too smile

by Feliks Dushatsky -

I did not have mysql-server-3.23.54a-4, but I installed it from Red Hat's website and now it's listed.

Before I was installing mysql from MYSQL's site. I still get the same error on the moodle page though. The mysql server is still not starting.

/etc/init.d/mysqld status
mysqld is stopped

/etc/init.d/mysqld start
Starting MySQL:                                            [  OK  ]

[root@intranet root]# /etc/init.d/mysqld status
mysqld dead but subsys locked

/etc/init.d/mysqld restart
Stopping MySQL:                                            [FAILED]
Starting MySQL:                                            [  OK  ]

You get the idea, could this be a conflict with the other installation? Is the database I created for moodle before not going to be available? Do I need to create everything again once the mysql server starts up?

Thanks

by Debasis Satapathy -
You do not have to install release version before beta version.First after installing mysql thrugh mysqladmin command you have to assign user as root and the corresponding password.In config.php file  on DATABASE SETUP option
just assign user as root and corresponding password and in website location just give the proper path-name.But you should create a database named moodle, and all the tables it will automatically take,after updating anything in mysql always start the mysqld(mysql daemon service).Try this way,it should work