Guest Access + Enrollment Key Problems

Guest Access + Enrollment Key Problems

by Mike DeBakey -
Number of replies: 6
Ever since we upgraded to Moodle 1.7 we have lost the ability to allow guest access to courses and use an enrollment key.

It appears that courses that allow guests without a key are fine.

The ones that require a key + allow guests keep bringing guests to the login screen without a password and never let them in if you are a guest.

I can still enter the enrollment key for these courses, but only if I am logged in as an actual user.

Is this something that is fixed in one of the nightly updates?

Thanks.

Mike

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike DeBakey

Re: Guest Access + Enrollment Key Problems

by Dave Solon -
Any chance you found the answer to this? We just went to 1.7 and that broke on us too.

Dave

In reply to Dave Solon

by Adam Papendieck -
I have a similar problem after an upgrade from 1.5 to 1.7, then recently 1.7.1. Guest access works only when the course is set to "Allow guest access with key", but "Allow guest access without key" does not work anymore.

When the course is set to "Allow guest access without key" the guest user is denied access, with the Sorry, '[Coursename]' does not allow guests to enter.

In reply to Mike DeBakey

by Worth Bishop -
Having the same problem also.

When we create a course, set to allow "guests without the key," guests have no access - get "Sorry, 'xyz course' does not allow guests to enter" when they click on course name. Have set site to automatically enroll users as guest if they are accessing a course that allows guests, but tried without this also.

When we create a course, set to allow "guest with the key" but leave the enrolment key field blank and try to log in as guest we get the message, "illegal enrolment attempted".

When we create a course, set to allow "guest with the key" and type "joe" in the enrolment key field and try to log in as guest, we get in.

If we go to the site, click the Login as Guest button on login page, we are still unable to access courses set to allow "guest without the key."

We are running 1.7+ against PostgreSQL.

Help?

In reply to Mike DeBakey

by Matthew West -
Hi All,

Unfortunately, we are having the same problem. We are running: Moodle 1.7.1, MySQL, Solaris.

Here's what happens with us:

1. Set guest access for guests with key and key word
2. Go to course as guest
3. Press login as guest
4. No options for entering key anywhere?!?!

Very frustrating... Anyone had any luck yet?

Thanks,

Matthew
In reply to Matthew West

by Jason Hollowell -
Hello,

I have an equally frustrating problem. I set an enrollment key for a course and do not allow guests in but when I create a new account (site wide using e-mail authentication) the user of that new account can enter the course without ever having to enter the key!! I tried it with both the "Site Default (internal enrolment)" and the "Internal Enrolment" plugin setting and got the same problem both times. Anyone who has an account on the site can access the course without the key.

Guests, however, cannot enter the course luckily.

Any ideas?

Jason
In reply to Mike DeBakey

by Mike DeBakey -
I can confirm that this bug was fixed in 1.7.1+. I upgraded two weeks ago and the problem is gone!