WORD TO HTML TO FILTER = Messed up tables and 1/5 file

WORD TO HTML TO FILTER = Messed up tables and 1/5 file

by Will Muenchow -
Number of replies: 5

Hey Everyone!

Think I posted this question in a wrong forum before. So I'll ask here. I have a 16 week course I'm trying to setup. Each course (1 week) is in WORD format. Now, I have tried to copy/paste that directly to a resource html fragment(?) and it comes up completely wrong and only 1/5 of it shows up. Seems the rest just vanishes? Now, I went back and downloaded the Word to Webpage Filter to get rid of all the extra garbage MS puts in the html file. Saved it. Copied and pasted it into the HTML fragment editor(?) and clicked saved. It all camed up messed up again? Only 1/5 of it was there and the tables were all messed up? Any idea what I'm doing wrong? If these HTML webpage files that I'm copying/pasteing to the resource html editor require a CSS how do I do this? Where do I put the CSS? THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

Will

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Will Muenchow

Re: WORD TO HTML TO FILTER = Messed up tables and 1/5 file

by Janne Mikkonen -
The best way in your case is disable the editor, from your profile.

- Janne -

by Jan Dierckx -
Why do you try to copy/paste them?

If you want to add them as resources in your course, you'd better use the option of uploading them to your course.
Convert all of your files to html / use the Webpage Filter to get rid of the MS garbage / put everything in one zip file and then upload this file to your course. Unzip the files on the server.
Now you can add all the html-files as resources (choose "uploaded files").
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Will Muenchow -

First off! Thank you guys/gals so much! I never expected people to answer so fast!! WOW! Jan: I uploaded lesson1.html to a dir called BIB254 - Saved everything, went to that resource and it came up "No Input File Specified" ? I specified the lesson1.html file though??

Thanks! I'll post the html that I tried to copy/paste and a print screen of the result.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The pasting should work (and has when I've tried it) ... but I've had another report like this which I'm trying to solve.

What browser are you using?

How big is that Word document?

Can you try cut/pasting smaller sections to try and isolate something particular in the document that is not working?

Can you perhaps attach it here?

Can you also post some screenshots to show what "messed up" means?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Martin -

I've had this problem a couple of times. I think it might have to do with the number of characters pasted into the editor, but I'm not sure. It looks like some of the characters disappear from the end of the text, messing up the entire thing and horribly breaking the HTML - sometimes with disastorous results for the page.

I have attached a file that one of my users had tried to add into the editor using cut and paste. This is an entire HTML document created with Frontpage (gasp), but if you just cut and paste the main table, you may see the problem (I did). It looks fine when you first paste it, but when you save it, it gets really messed up.

The document itself is poorly formatted (uses specific widths) and contains some Arabic text as well. When I used Word to clean the HTML, it would paste properly, but the formatting was even worse. This process also reduced the number of characters.

Anyway, see what happens when you try it.

mike