Transferring questions from QuestionMark to Moodle

Transferring questions from QuestionMark to Moodle

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 19
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
(For those of you who don't know, QuestionMark is a commercial web-based assessment system.)

One of the gaps in Moodle's range of question import filters is that there is no importer for QuestionMark files. (QuestionMark can export it's questions in a custom XML format called QML.) This was a problem for us at the OU since some of our courses were using it and we had over 1500 questions in our question bank that we wanted to move them to Moodle.

For us, the simplest solution was to contract out the conversion of the QML files to Moodle XML format that we could then import. The person who did this for us was Jalshan Sabir (jalshan.sabir@strath.ac.uk), and she did a really excellent job. I just wanted to pass on the tip that if anyone else needed the same sort of job doing, they could try asking her.

Of course, what would be really great would be if someone could write a QML inporter for Moodle, but that would be more work.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Transferring questions from QuestionMark to Moodle

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If you are not in a massive rush and you can supply lots of sample files (or a free copy of QuestionMark) I would be prepared to give it a bash. Any money in it? big grin
In reply to Howard Miller

by Eduardo Hernandez -
Hey!. That's good to know!. A couple of months ago we had a demo with QM people , and they told us there were building a plugin to connect Moodle with QM Perception. That's all I know.

Eduardo
In reply to Eduardo Hernandez

by Howard Miller -
Guessing.... but that sounds more like some sort of single sign on (or similar) arrangement rather than something to transfer questions, but who knows smile
In reply to Tim Hunt

by colin melville -
I think from ?version 3 Questionmark had an IMS-QTI compliant export function. Is the Moodle IMS-QTI import function fully up-and-running?
In reply to colin melville

by Howard Miller -
To be honest I've not seen it. BUT... and I may be corrected, what is being referred to as the IMS-QTI importer is really a Respondus importer. We have had some discussions about this in the past and at present it's not really viable to produce a general purpose QTI importer for the simple reason that the standard is huge, rambling an arcane. IMHO a poor standard really sad
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Could someone tell me what the current status is on QMP to Moodle conversion? I have a lot of QMP tests but we don't want to use QMP anymore and import all those tests into Moodle.

Since the original post of this thread is on november 25th 2006 I was wondering if anything was developped already?

Thanks for the replies,

Richard.

In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

by Howard Miller -
In short, nobody sent me any QMP files tongueout

That's bad.

Here are some QMP files...

Questionmark Perception (QMP) has different export formats. The most advanced export format is the Qpack-format. This has all the pictures etc. in it and by the looks of it it is some sort of custom winzip format which I can't unpack manually.

Then there's the xml and qml formats which are fairly similar I think. I also understood there's a possibility to import QMP into Wintoets (which is a dutch program I think) and then from Wintoets import it into Moodle.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. We are a relative small school (3500 Students) and I'm trying to convince everyone here to go Moodle smile Having the information that's already available into Moodle will greatly help this process!

by Howard Miller -
Thanks for that....

* The qpack file is an encrypted zip file. A password is required. Anybody got any thoughts on what it might be (or got a good zip file password cracker)
* The qml file looks like a proprietary xml format - at a glance it's quite sensible and simple.
* The xml file is our old friend IMS QTI, but that doesn't really do us any good as, to be blunt, it's a pretty rubbish standard IMHO.

I think the best bet is the qml format. I didn't check your file that closely, but I would need a file or files with every possible question type and option (!). Are you up for it?

by Tim Hunt -
When we go Jalshan to convert some questions to Moodle XML format manually, we started from the QML files.

Hello Howard,

but I would need a file or files with every possible question type and option (!).

I am not in the position to make QMP tests. All I can do is get the tests that are already made... Is this really a problem?

Regards,

Richard.

by Howard Miller -
Nope.... I'll take what I can get. The worst is that there may be some unsupported question types. That would be the same as just about every other format smile

Any news on this issue?

I'm still breaking my head over this. There is a possibility to export the tests/quizes from QMP to SCORM. But... you need QMP server running as far as I can tell.

Since we were hosting QMP elsewhere we only have the QMP client and we can not convert any tests...

I was just wondering if anyone has the same problems.

Richard.

by Simon Allison -

This module requires the questions to be in qml format but not sure how to get the data in this format?

Would really like to get this solved so we can put our questions onto Moodle.

In reply to Simon Allison

by Tim Hunt -
QuestionMark has a save as QML, or export as QML, option, or something like that, somewhere in the question editing interface. Sorry I cannot me more specific.

by François Jimenez -

Hello,

I need your help because i'm a little lost with all this format.

I would like to implement Moodle in my office and I don't want to use anymore QuestionMark because the Quiz Module of Moodle 2.4 is very good.

I have the XML file of one of my assessment, but I would like to import it in moodle.

How can I do that ?

Thanks in advance

Cheers,

F.

PS : I have the XML and QML files