multi-day events

multi-day events

by Gustav W Delius -
Number of replies: 5

I like the way multi-day events are displayed on the monthly calendar. However I notice that they only show up on the daily calendar on the first day of the event. So the day view can say "There are no events this day" when in reality there is an event which however started on an earlier day.

Finding the multi-day events that need to be shown on a particular day will require some SQL something like "WHERE timestart < dayend AND timestart + timeduration > dayend" where dayend denotes time for the end of the day we are interested in.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gustav W Delius

Re: multi-day events

by John Papaioannou -
Yes, in fact I 've thought of this but it wasn't a priority. What about having a small unordered list after the "starting today" events, with the names of multi-day events that span this day? The names would be links that take you to the daily view or event view where that event starts.
In reply to John Papaioannou

by Gustav W Delius -
The list of current multi-day events that you suggest for the "Upcoming events" box might be nice but not essential, given that they are not strictly "upcoming" events. More important is that the day view does not say that there are no events if in fact there are.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by John Papaioannou -
No, what I meant was this:

In the day view, after the events which start that day, we should display the events that span it. I don't think this should be done in detail (as events are displayed in the day view now), so what about an unordered list as described above?

The Upcoming events block already shows multi-day events that span "today", because IMHO it's useful to see when they end at a glance.
In reply to John Papaioannou

by Gustav W Delius -
Ah, thanks. I clearly misunderstood. Yes, I like your suggestion of a brief list of multi-day events in the day view.