New Dedicated Server- Which MYSQL and PHP versions should I use?

New Dedicated Server- Which MYSQL and PHP versions should I use?

by Todd Thornton -
Number of replies: 9
I'm getting ready to order a new dedicated server that I intend to have for a while for my Moodle installation and wanted some input. Because I need activity locking, I'll likely continue to use Moodle 1.6 for while, but I still wanted the ability to test and upgrade later to maybe Moodle 2.0. (if activity locking gets implemented)

For those server experts on the list, if you were setting up a brand new server, which versions of software MySQL, PHP, or other stuff would you use so I don't have too many problems today, but I still have the flexibility to upgrade tomorrow.

Does it make sense to go ahead and install MySQL 5 and PHP 5.2?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Todd Thornton
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Todd Thornton

Re: New Dedicated Server- Which MYSQL and PHP versions should I use?

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Todd,

you haven't mentioned which OS you plan on using - If you decide to use Windows/IIS then make sure you don't use a php version higher than 5.1.2 (all PHP versions higher than this have some wierd issues when running IIS)

If using Apache, you should be fine with PHP 5.2 and Mysql 5 (quite a few people are running Mysql 5, not as many running PHP 5.2 yet though.)

good luck!

smile

Dan

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Todd Thornton -
Dan,
Thanks for the input.

FYI- I'm going to be using Apache.

Todd

by Jay Lee -
That's good but what OS? Linux or Windows (or OS X I suppose)?

Jay
In reply to Jay Lee

by Todd Thornton -

Sorry. I'll be using Linux.

Todd

by Jay Lee -
In that case I'd use the Apache, PHP and MySQL that ships with your distribution of choice, assuming they meet the min. version requirements of Moodle (which any recently released distro version should). This will give you a LAMP platform where each version of each layer (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) have been tested together. My personal recommendation would be RHEL4 or CentOS 4, they are stable, use relatively recent packages (Linux 2.6.9, Apache 2.0.52, MySQL 4.1 and PHP 4.3.9) and promise to provide updates for years to come. Stay away from quick paced distributions like Fedora, nothing against Fedora but if you used the latest FC6 now, you'd need to upgrade your server by Summer 2007 to keep from being obsoleted by Fedora's fast development pace.

Jay
In reply to Jay Lee

by Randy Obert -

I currently setup all linux boxes as per below (works fine with 1.7 Moodle)with a hardened PHP installation

Kernel : 2.6.9-42.0.2.EL
Apache :1.3.37 (Unix)

PERL version 5.8.7
PHP version 4.4.4
MySQL version 4.1.21-standard

by Randy Obert -

If going dedicated, I would not even consider windows...

I would use the lastest "Stable" versions of PHP, MYsql and Apache

by Richie Foreman -
I've mentioned this before on several other posts, but..Debian Linux is my Linux Distro of choice. I strongly recommend deb, it's just ama-za-zing.

by Todd Thornton -

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who gave me input.

I hope everyone has a happy holiday season.

Sincerely,
Todd