Very often random logouts and page loading halts

Very often random logouts and page loading halts

by Radim Frejlach -
Number of replies: 6
We have server P4/3,2GHz, RAM 2GB, OS Mandriva 2006 with all latest updates, Apache 2.0.54, MySQL 4.1.12, PHP 5.0.4 and about 300 users (very few simultaniously working with Moodle). Users are very often randomly logged out ("Server error..."). Session test runs well.

Also, sometimes pages load very slowly (halt), but when I turn on the performance info in the footer, there are values in miliseconds and after refresh in browser, the page shows immediately.

Has anybody the same experience and a solution or tips, what should I check/upgrade/downgrade...? We are using Moodle 1.6.2.

Thanx in advance.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Radim Frejlach

Re: Very often random logouts and page loading halts

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I don't mean to say this is the root of your problem, but PHP 5.0.x is know to be buggy and should not be used with Moodle.

Saludos. Iñaki.
In reply to Radim Frejlach

by Mark Little -

Hi

We are having the same problem and we are also runing php 5.04 and Moodle 1.62.

We are planning to upgrade to php 5.1.2 so that we can use the APC cache facility which will hopefully quicken up the page loading on the server.

In reply to Mark Little

by Polis Aniftos -
i happen to experience a similar problem with Mark Little:

Very often (every 10 about ten minutes) my apache server becomes busy and the website stops responding. as a result an error page appears on the client. when i stop appache (through XAMP control) and restart, the page loads again.
What would the problem be in this case? any ideas or suggestions?

By the way i am using XP with Moodle 1.6.2 and XAMP whole integrated package installation.

Apolis
In reply to Polis Aniftos

by Arnor Kristjansson -
I had this problem until I upped the MaxClients value in Apache2....
In reply to Arnor Kristjansson

by Polis Aniftos -
How did you do this Arnor?
In reply to Polis Aniftos

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Polis,

We also use LAMPP, and you will find the maxclients and other like settings here in a default LAMPP install: /opt/lampp/etc/extras/httpd-mpm.conf

You will need to know how your server is set to use which MPM, since you will see this file is divided into settings depending on the type. For Linux, prefork or worker are the options. You can use the apachectl -l (that's an EL) script (in /opt/lampp/bin) to show you this.

A good place to get info on these settings is: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mpm_common.html#maxclients

The LAMPP defaults on our box (prefork) are:
StartServers 5
MinSpareServers 5
MaxSpareServers 10
MaxClients 150
MaxRequestsPerChild 0

-- Randy