OS X Error "The site administrator needs to fix the file permissions"

OS X Error "The site administrator needs to fix the file permissions"

by Ted O'Neill -
Number of replies: 4
Hello Moodlers,

Here is a newbie question. I just installed Moodle on Mac OS X 10.3.2 and things seem to be fine so far. I can change themes, create courses, etc. I just tried to click on "Site Files" under administration and got this error:

"Warning: mkdir(/Library/WebServer/Documents/moodle/moodledata/1): Permission denied in /Library/WebServer/Documents/moodle/lib/moodlelib.php on line 1013

ERROR: Could not find or create a directory (/Library/WebServer/Documents/moodle/moodledata/1)"

Permissions for the dir moodledata and the dot and dotdot files are:

drwxr-xr-x nobody nobody moodledata

Perms for the .htaccess file are:

-rw-r--r-- gotanda wheel .htaccess

If anyone could help me out with this, I'd appreciate it.

TIA,

Ted
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ted O'Neill

Re: OS X Error "The site administrator needs to fix the file permissions"

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Ted,
I have the same setup-Mac OS X 10.3.2-but haven't had the error you report. I notice the permissions on my moodledata directory are 777. That means.. drwxrwxrwx admin admin moodledata
I would like to know from someone, if those permissions are too generous. My permissions for the .htaccess file are the same as yours. By the way, I use an OS X freeware program called "Batchmod" to change and check permissions.

One more thing, the documentation recommends you put your moodledata directory *outside* of your moodle folder-- in another area. For example, I put my moodledata directory not in /Library/Webserver... but in /Users/admin/moodledata
Don
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Bill White -
Hi Ted and Don,

I am also running 10.3.2. I had this problem as well and I chmod my moodle data folder to 777. This solved the problem smile, but I still feel it seems a little to open.mixed My location is in /Library/WebServer/moodle_data. I think I will try using something like you have set up Don. cool

Bill
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Ted O'Neill -
Don,

Thanks. I thought about just setting the perms wise open like that, but it just feels wrong, but it worked. I'm pretty sure that "other" shouldn't need write access for example. I wonder about creating a user "moodle" or something like that. I'll have to think more.

Thanks for the reminder about putting moodledata outside. I saw that, but decided to go with the .htaccess file as protection for the time being to make keeping track of everything easier. This was just a temporary set up to see if I could get it working. Plus, I wasn't sure where to put it-- /Users/admin/ seems like a good place.

--Ted
In reply to Ted O'Neill

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello,

Our permissions of the moodledata folder is the following

drwxrwxr-x the owner is "admin" (UID 0) and the group is "www" (UID 70)

It works very well.

Incidentally, our "lang" folder (inside moodle folder) permissions are the same, and this allows admins to edit language packs online.

Cheers
Nicolas