Student webpages?

Student webpages?

by Will Cunningham -
Number of replies: 16
I have been searching and searching for some sort of system to allow my students a simple way to make their own website. I can't find anything that will work. Then I thought there would be one for Moodle. I searched everywhere but couldn't find anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions? One idea that I have is using the Book Module modified so each a student can create and edit it. It would work well but I do not know how to code it.

Any ideas?

I am running 1.5.3 and can't upgrade, hosted server won't upgrade mysql.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Will Cunningham

Re: Student webpages?

by Art Lader -
Hi, Will,

Just a thought: What about letting them use the wiki module to make their web sites? You could set it up so that they each had a wiki of their own that only they and you could edit.

If that sounds interesting to you, here's a useful link - http://docs.moodle.org/en/wiki

Hope that helps a bit.

Regards,
Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Will Cunningham -
Looks interesting. I had already intalled dfwiki but had not played with it. My main concern is, is it easy enough for my third graders(8 years old) to use? I have never used a wiki before and I am a little confused on how to set it up and use it.

by Art Lader -
Not sure about third graders. I think it might be a bit much for some of them. But if you really helped them a lot... Maybe.

Maybe they could create web pages with an app like Word or Powerpoint and upload them to a forum or a glossary?

Regards,
Art

In reply to Art Lader

by Ger Tielemans -

Well, Will

If you could modify Book into a student activity, our teachers would love you for ever!!

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Will Cunningham -
I wish I could! I have no idea how. It would be a great addition though. If someone wants to give it a try please let me know.

by Joan Codina Filba -
Version 1.7 has blogs
A blog is a student web page
I don't know up to which extend the global format can be changed, and change the view of a set of messages to a single page.

In reply to Joan Codina Filba

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Joan,

>>Version 1.7 has
blogs A blog is a student web page.
>>I don't know up to which extend the global format can be changed, and change >>the view of a set of messages to a single page.

Yes, I agree that a blog would be a great way to do a simple student webpage. The problem with blogs in moodle 1.6 is that students *cannot* upload photos. To me that makes the blog useless as a publishing tool--though you could use it as a text-only diary. Do you know if this issue has been fixed in version 1.7? I saw no reference to this on the release notes. Is there an easy way to give students permissions to upload photos, like a teacher can?
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Joan Codina Filba -
Yes, you are right.
Maybe you could introduce this as an improvement or new feature in the bug tracker, ant then we can vote for it.

Also I think that to do this properly there is a need for each user to have a folder where to store files. (And I would like this folder to also have an ftp access with the same user/pass than moodle)
Courses, have a folder, but teachers or students don't
To have a folder is a first step to allow to upload photos and add links to them in the blog or any other post.

by Stefan van Soest -

http://www.absolutely-free-hosting.com/free_hosts_01.php

Look for one with a pagebuilder.
Omoola is one.

I use http://web.kennisnet2.nl/portal/websitemaker but thats is dutch

Hope this is what you looking for.

Stefan.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Stefan van Soest

by Will Cunningham -
Just too many adds to make them a practical use in the classroom. I have been looking for a version of a pagbuilder to host on my server but have had no such luck.

I really like the format of the book module. If it could be hacked into a activity life would be grand. It wouldn't need backup or gradeing IMO. I just want a quick and simple way to get student sites up.

by Art Lader -
Hi, Will,

I suspect that roles in 1.7 would make this possible for you. You could give your students the ability to edit only the book mod, I think.

Just a thought.

Regards,
Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Will Cunningham -
Wow that sounds perfect!

To bad my hosted server will not upgrade mysql. I'm limmited to 1.5.3.

by Art Lader -

What an odd host. sad

Disclosure: I do a lot of work with/for one of the Moodle partners.

-- Art

by Sigurdur Jonsson -
I think it's still in an early testing phase but what about Google Pagecreator? Just a suggestion ;)

http://pagecreator.google.com/

regards,
S.Fjalar
In reply to Sigurdur Jonsson

by Will Cunningham -
After I read through this discussion again I had the idea to make a new course and make my students teachers of that course. I then created books for each them. I think it will work as long as they don't delete someone elses. :0

Thanks for all the suggestions.