cvs upgrade problems

cvs upgrade problems

by Rick Danielson -
Number of replies: 3

I know I shouldn't have done it in the middle of a term (i.e. upgrade), but I did.  For several reasons, I decided to do the upgrade now, instead of the end of the term.

In the fall I used the workshop module and generally caused a lot of problems for Ray Kingdom.  Eventually through his efforts in adding a number of features, it worked and I went through the fall term with no problems.  However, in order to make it work I had to abandon the Sourceforge cvs upgrade procedure and  go directly to the Moodle source files for the workshop module.  I did the same with the English language files.  Martin suggested that I could go back to use of the Sourceforge cvs system by deleting the /workshop directory in the /mod directory and then applying the cvd upgrade -dP procedure as before. 

Today I did just that.  In addition, I deleted the /en directory in the /lang directory too before doing the cvs upgrade procedure.  The upgrade seemed to go fine, with no errors.  As a safety precaution, I printed the output of the upgrade procedure, and I suppose this may be related to my present problem.  Anyway, the output of the upgrade was that the database was upgraded from 2003091800 to 2004022400, the courses (6) were upgraded, the database was successfully upgraded and the module tables were successfully upgraded (assignment, attendance, chat, choice, dialogue, exercise, forum, glossary, journal, label, lesson, quiz, resource, survey and workshop).  After printing all the table upgrade information, I was taken to the normal login page.

I can log in as admin and perform various administrative functions.  In fact, I upgraded the log files with no problem.  However apart from logging in, I can't do anything as either a teacher or a student.  The system just hangs waiting for the page to display.  It does not seem to be mysql, because the databases were upgraded.  It looks like an html or a php problem.  I'm running RH 7.3 with php version 4.1.2.  I get the same problem using either IE or Netscape.

I would appreciate if anyone has any suggestions.  Today is the day of least Moodle activity on the server (apache is working fine as is my open web), but I have to work tomorrow.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rick Danielson

Re: cvs upgrade problems

by Rick Danielson -

Here is more information.  I sometimes can get a response, but it is always very, very slow.  If I look at the error_log I see this error:

[Tue Mar  2 16:51:08 2004] [error] PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 64 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

Therefore, this problem seems to be php-related.

In reply to Rick Danielson

by Herbert Keijers -
Hi Rick,
The answer is in your post ...
You see the gray background on Allowed memory size , please click on it.
In reply to Herbert Keijers

by Rick Danielson -

Thanks Herbert, that was the problem.  I had looked at the php.ini file earlier, but didn't think I should mess with the limit.  Since the fall I have not been watching the forums so I missed Martin's advice about increasing the allocation.

Your quick and helpful reply saved my neck.  Thanks again.