Run into trouble in calculating grades.

Run into trouble in calculating grades.

by Martin Koops -
Number of replies: 3

When i calculate the grades for my students I can make it work fine when I only put a weight to the [weightforteacherassessments] and leave the rest blank.

When I include the "Weight for Grading of Assessments" trouble starts. this grade is calculated in percentages I gues, and when I have graded a contribution as "10 out of 10" or "9 out of 10", it appears as "4 out of 10" in the "Grade for Assessments"-column.

I am struggling with this for over a month now, and now even the moodle1.2 version does not solve it.

Can anyone help me and explain WHAT I HAVE TO TWEAK or change in the php-files????

What number do I have to change to make the assignements occur in a fashionable way in the grades columns?

I am doing a pilot project with Moodle in the high school where I teach physics, on my own initiative in my free time. This problem is getting a nasty one now students start to complain about my "online (moodle) project" and try get out of it. Schoolmanagement is still supporting me in some way, but this kind of errors does not make my position any stronger in the computer-fearing community I am in sad

Kind regards and thanks for helping.

Martin Koops

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Koops

Re: Run into trouble in calculating grades.

by Ray Kingdon -
Martin, in your pilot project it would be better if you used the "Analysis of Assessments" in phase 5 of the module rather than the "Calculation of Final Grades". The former analysis is the one I use and it does not rely on the teacher grading student assessments (which is a real chore). Have a look at the help file associated with this method, it does need  the example submissions to be assessed and some parameters set. It's all described in the help file.

Hope this helps.

In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Martin Koops -

Thanks for the reply,

I tried to do somethings with the analysis, but it only can create grades of 0,5 and 10 in my case where each student only assessed two other contributions.

I did not have a example set up, so that is no option for  me.

Kind regards,

Martijn

In reply to Martin Koops

by Ray Kingdon -
The Analysis of Assessments can be used when you don't have any examples for the students to assess before they submit they own work. It will help stabalise the analysis if you assess a number of pieces of work submitted by the students. I would do about 10% in the first instance and see how the analysis goes. These will act as benchmarks. There's no need to grade the student assessments, the analysis ignores those gradings.