"500" Error when attempting to create a quiz or assignment after upgrade to v1.2b

"500" Error when attempting to create a quiz or assignment after upgrade to v1.2b

by W Page -
Number of replies: 24

Hello All!

I am really "grooving" with MOODLE v1.2b (Martin we need alpha and beta, etc symbols).  However, since I have upgraded from a previous v1.2 (Jan 28 2004) version I am having some problems creating Quizes and Assignments.  When I click the final submit buttons, just before going back to the course page I am getting 500 errors.  What could be wrong?  I did not have this problem with the previous build.

Any and all responses appreciated.

WP1

Average of ratings: -
In reply to W Page

Re: "500" Error when attempting to create a quiz or assignment after upgrade to v1.2b

by Mark Burnet -

(Martin we need alpha and beta, etc symbols)

It's in there using TeX notation.

alpha = $$$\alpha$$$ is $$\alpha$$

beta = $$$\beta$$$ is $$\beta$$

Is this what you meant?

$$\frac{success}{problem}=~\unitlength{.6}~\picture(100){~~(50,50){\circle(99)}~ ~(20,55;50,0;2){+1$\hat\bullet}~~(50,40){\bullet}~~(50,35){\circle(50,25;34)}~ ~(50,35){\circle(50,45;34)}}$$

In reply to Mark Burnet

Re: "500" Error when attempting to create a quiz or assignment after upgrade to v1.2b

by W Page -

Hi!

Yep!  That is what I am talking about but I was hoping he would place them in the "Character" pop up on the HTML editor.  Although I have seen much in the forums about TeX, I really do not understand how to get it to work or how to write code to display it.  Can you help me out with this?  Would appreciate it along with I am sure some other Moodlers.  Maybe there is a good beginners tutorial you could point us to? smile

Thanks in advance.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Mark Burnet -

TeX is easy to do if you know the expressions. Type $$$\alpha$$$ to get $$\alpha$$ with filtering for TeX enabled.

Here is a Math expression glossary.  You will need 2/29/04 cvs for the filters folder.

In reply to Mark Burnet

by W Page -

Hi!

Thanks for your response.  I was able to do it "$$\alpha$$ " without toggling the HTML file. 

How can I get the file you posted "mathglossary.xml" to display?  Although I have placed them into news feeds I do not know how to get  .XML files to display on a regular page. (Am I showing my ignorance? blush)

BTW, how can I display TeX as you did when istructing me as to how to code for it?  Do I use the HTML toggle to do it and place the code you provided into the HTML code?

Thanks for your help and your patience.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Paul Norrod -

WP1, I was also wondering how to put in the TeX notation.  I am sure the glossary will give you the info once you get it going, but there is also a lot of documentation on the web.  I found one I was using so that I could play around with TeX at:

ftp://ftp.ams.org/pub/tex/doc/amsmath/short-math-guide.pdf

In reply to W Page

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
To display the raw TeX, you put triple dollar signs around the expression, instead of double dollar signs (which causes the TeX to be converted to a graphic display).
In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by W Page -

Thanks Paul and Zbigniew!!

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Mark Burnet -

First save this file locally somewhere, then create a new glossary. Select the import tab. browse to the file location and select <save changes>. the xml file will import into the glossary. 

In reply to W Page

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This is due to the web server choking on the PHP script - which is bad. Can you get access to the web server error logs to see what really happened?
In reply to Howard Miller

by W Page -

Thanks for your response Howard

I am trying to get access to the web server error logs.  This is a 1and1.com free promotional account that they offered recently.  I had installed a MOODLE v1.2 (late January build) previously which ran with no problem.  After I installed the v1.2$$\beta$$ I now get a lot of 500 errors when I attempt to add activities and resourses.

On my pay site, MOODLE v1.2$$\beta$$ is running smooth as butter.  I have not run up against a problem as of yet.

I was hoping to use MOODLE on the 1and1.com web host site because of the 500MB space and the 5Gig/mo limits.  Also it allows for only one database.  This setting would have been perfect for a CMS for Students.  But I do not know.sad   I will have to see if  I can figure out this "500" error thing.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Mark Burnet -

WP,

I also picked up a free 1and1.com account during the promotion but haven't deployed moodle on it yet.  I would be interested in knowing what ISSUES that you have had deploying with them. I knew the single database would be a potential problem in converting.  Did you build from scratch on their site?

In reply to Mark Burnet

by W Page -

Hi Mark!

This 1and1.com thing has really been a journey in the land of the "free" web site offers.

I wrote a summation regarding the promotional offer at,
Possible Webspace for MOODLE developers
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=4578

The main problem is NO SUPPORT.  The folks with the free promotion web sites are suppose to get e-mail support.  Try it if you dare.  A user began a support site to help other users.  It is located at,
1and1 Support / The Unofficial 1and1.com Web Site Support
http://s88567960.onlinehome.us/

The other  problems center around quicks and qerks that were not explained prior to signing up and a control panel from hell ( it has improved a bit from the original one).  Also it is difficult to find out what the actual upload limits, memory limits etc are for these promotional sites and how to adjust them.  The FAQs are not the most helpful.  They are located at,  http://faq.1and1.com

One of the positives for me is the access to SSH.  You do not have to give up your "first born" to get it.  The webmail (they have improved the interface for this) offered is also nice - 50 webmails at 50MB each (if true) in addition to the webspace.

I am going to remove and then reinstall the v1.2$$\beta$$ site.  Maybe I did something wrong during the installation.  I will post and let you know how it goes.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Peter Sanders -

Hi

We are using 1and 1 and we have upgraded to the latest Moodle 1.2

Now we are having the same problems, 500 errors. I know there are topics elsewhere on this site about this.

In fact, if you create an assignment, get the error then look at the course, you can see the assignment is there but the details are missing. Go into it to edit, save and it all comes back and works properly.

This is not very satisfactory at all. Does anyone know the cause of this yet, or a fix?

In reply to Peter Sanders

by W Page -

Hello Peter!

Well I have to tell you there are a lot of "unexplainable" phonemena which seems to occur on 1and1 sites.  It is not just the Moodle script that is affected by this.

However, after a period of utter frustration I just deleted the Moodle site at 1and1 to include the database.  I then did a fresh install of a more recent copy of the script (You may want to wait an hour or two after deleting it - please do not ask me why.)

Things may improve after that & do keep the 1and1 Un-official Support Site I noted above bookmarked for future reference.  Trying to get a response to a support e-mail using 1and1 Official support can be an adventure in futility.

Hope this does not sound too cynical and provides you with some help.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Peter Sanders -
I got a response from the official 1 and 1 support. They said it was a "script error", which is, I believe, their standard response.
Upgrading to 1.2.1 has just made the problem worse with more courses, but not all, giving the 500 error, not backing up etc..

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I can't think of anything added in 1.2 or 1.2.1 that could be responsible for a 500 error ... and as you can see everyone who is NOT on 1and1 doesn't see this problem.

So unfortunately I have no solution ...

One guess/suggestion: try turning all the filters off.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Peter Sanders -
Turning filters and activity reports off were the first things I tried...

by W Page -
Hi Peter,

1and1 are a pain in the As....... The e-mail support "Stinks".

Remove your present Moodle install and database associated with Moodle.

Wait a couple of hours or even a day.

Reinstall via SSH if you can.

Hopefully it will work.

I did the above and mine is working except I cannot get "social" format in the courses. That problem resolved and then started up again.

Everything else seems to work.

I do not know what is the matter with 1and1. How they expect people to want to move over to pay status with how they are providing service I do not know or understand. I do not have any of these problems running Moodle with my pay web host. If I am going to pay for hosting for my Moodle site I am going with NetMundo.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Peter Sanders -

Well, I have managed to get some support from 1 & 1 (I suppose). First they said it was a scripting error, then they said they were not aware of any limits for our type of account, then they admitted yes there were 10Mb and 6 second processing limits and I should upgrade to the next level of package where I would also have SSH.

So we are looking at alternatives.

by W Page -
Hello!

Do you have one of the "free" promotional sites?

Run a "phpinfo.php" from your "root". This will give you a clearer idea of how your site is configured. Frankly, I think the 1and1 staff can be a bit shakey especially with the "free" promotional sites. Also, if you have a free account, you already have SSH. This script, however, free promotional or pay site will give you more insight into any site's php setup. The other option, is to visit the Unofficial 1and1 Support site I mentioned in a post above and leave a post for the person who runs the site asking him/her about the limits. That person seems to have an "inside tract" about the configuration of all the sites at 1and1.

If you decide to go the
"phpinfo.php" route then do the following.

1. Make up a file called "phpinfo.php". Put the following code into the file,
<? phpinfo() ?>

2. Go to the 1and1 root directory,
/homepages/22/d12345678/htdocs/

3. Place the "phpinfo.php" file you created there,
/homepages/22/d12345678/htdocs/phpinfo.php

4. You should then have something like
/homepages/22/d12345678/htdocs/phpinfo.php
/homepages/22/d12345678/htdocs/moodle
/homepages/22/d12345678/htdocs/moodledata

5. Type something like the following into the browser location box,
http://www.s12345222.onlinehome.us/phpinfo.php

6. Remember the number in the root d12345678 is different from the number in the address s12345222.

7. Look for the following values,
  • max_execution_time
  • memory_limit

8. Remove the script but keep it close by when you are done. (I have a tendency to forget to do this. I do not think it is a security issue but if you care about nosey folks big grin knowing how your site is configured, then remove it.)

When you are done with all this, you should have a better idea of what is going on with the php limits on your site.

Hope this helps.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Peter Sanders -
Thanks, yes, I have looked at this. They are 50000 and 40M respectively.
No, it is a paid business account.

by Peter Sanders -
1&1 seem to have changed their control panel today, and there is now a CGI Output monitor (maybe it was there all the time, but I hadn't noticed). They say that it helps troubleshoot when a "500" error appears. Need to supply a directory, script name and parameter, so I will investigate...

by W Page -
Hi!

Thanks for the info.

After an update, when I login  I get a "500" error.  The address in the locator box is something like,
http://s12345678.onlinehome.us/moodle/admin/index.php

I tried out this CGI monitor.  I did not use a "parameter" primarity because I do not know what they are referring to.  This is an example of the result I got back,
- 126 CGI returned nonzero status
/usr/bin/nice: /kunden/homepages/22/d12345999/htdocs/./moodle/admin/index.php: Permission denied  STDOUT OK STDERR OK

Now true to 1and1's style, there are no instructions to explain what the "parameter" is or how to use it and no descriptions to explain the results from the monitor.  Not even a link as to where to look.  (That I can see right now.)

Howpefully one of the knowledgeable folks at
Moodle will see this post and tell me what this all means as well as let me know what to do to get rid of this error.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Peter Sanders -
Yes, I had a brief look at it at midnight last night and got similar results, but it was too late to investigate further. I am in contact with a named person at 1&1 who has been vaguely helpful, so I will try again today and see if I can make some progress.