Urgent - Restore Course Halt

Urgent - Restore Course Halt

by A. H. -
Number of replies: 5
I have shutdown windows servers and moved everything to Linux smile. But there was one course on windows which i backed up and is NOTTTT restoring on Linux...It is just halting.

I restored it on windows and it worked fine!

So whats missing on linux? thats the only course which i faced this. BUT, its the only course which is around 550MBsmile, its a very big course.

Thnx for the help...the course is being given this semester and there are students currently in the course.

thank you for the help.
amer

Average of ratings: -
In reply to A. H.

Re: Urgent - Restore Course Halt

by Timothy Takemoto -
Dear Amer

My guess is that it is just the php.ini execution_time and memory_limit settings on the new Linux server being set more frugally than on your windows server. Change them and you may see your restore complet.e 

Also an advantage of the linux server is that you can set internal zip and unzip routines that should be able to save you some time and memory.

Timothy
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by A. H. -
Dear Timothy,
I tried and it didnt work. Thats the error am getting:

• Creating temporary structures
  • Deleting old data
  • Copying zip file
  • Unzipping backup
  • Checking for BlackBoard export
  • Checking backup
Error checking backup file. moodle.xml not found at root level of zip file.

An error has ocurred

ALTHOUGH moodle.xml exists in the zip file!

thnx for the help!
amer
In reply to A. H.

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
> Error checking backup file. moodle.xml not found at root level of zip file.

... and is that the same error you were getting before you changed the maximum execution time setting?
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Timothy Takemoto -
Hi Gordon and Amer,

The maximum execution time thing is just something that I suggested rather than somethign that was changed.

But why should moodle not find the file even though it unzipped the backup?
Note that it says "error checking backup file" perhaps it is not that the file was not found so much as it did not check out.
1) So perhaps as Gordon and I suggest, it is too large for the maximum execution time, memory time settings?
2) Some strange character codes in there (e.g. when moving from one encoding to another - backup files are generally not movable)?
Not sure.

Aha, In this forum
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=55165
someone got over the problem by, as I first suggested (smug smiley) specifying the path to the unzip, which suggests that the server is running out of memory. The server's unzip program use a lot less memory than the php unzip routines do.

No!!! (blush) perhaps the problem is rather that the path to the unzip has been specified incorrectly as here (and that would explain why putting the correct path cured the problem above, rather than it being a memory limit thing.)
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=46588

Either way, please look in Admin>>Variables and see what you have for the zip: and unzip: variables. Try correcting, removing or adding the correct paths.

Timothy
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by A. H. -
Gordon and Timothy,

Thnx a lot for the suggestions. I solved as follows:

Increased
max_execution_time = 300M ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
max_input_time = 1024M ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
memory_limit = 1024M
big grin
AND

the path was giving error: /usr/bin/unzip

so i removed it also

and things worked.
Now i returned the variables which i modified back to normal.

regards,
amer