Can I combine the Moodle Registration and Course Enrollment Processes?

Can I combine the Moodle Registration and Course Enrollment Processes?

by Chuck Daniel -
Number of replies: 4

Hi Moodle Gurus,

I am a newbie to moodle but a software design engineer by training so am willing to make code modifications if necessary to accomplish my task. 

However, if there is another way to do this without making software modifications that would be even better!

Moodles design philosophy seems to be one of:

Register as a moodle user
Enroll for specific courses

What I would like to be able to do is have the registration and enrollment occur in one step.

The reason I want to do this is that I would like to have people coming to the site be able to register and join a specific course using an enrollment key that I provide them.  They will have paid to participate in the course outside of Moodle and I only want paid members to be able to join the site/course.

Can anyone please provide me with a method or feedback on the best way to accomplish this?  The multi-step join/enroll method will be confusing to the people I want to give access to the training so if I can combine them that would be the best for what I want to do.

I thought perhaps a custom login page might be the way to do this but am open to all possibilities.

Thanks in advance for your time.

I sincerely appreciate it!

-Chuck Daniel

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chuck Daniel

Re: Can I combine the Moodle Registration and Course Enrollment Processes?

by Don Sloss -

One way I think might work is on the admin page for "Upload Users", if you click on the Moodle Doc for that page, it shows that you can upload users with a Comma Delimited Text file and automatically enroll them in a course at the same time. The doc will give you examples and show you all the varibles you can use. The header format is something like this:

First Name, Last Name, Password, Username, Course
John,    Smith,     PetName,     FastJohn,   Algebra 101

Since they pay you first, you can just take their info and enroll them yourself.
Only thing a got for you! Hope it helps.

In reply to Don Sloss

by Chuck Daniel -

Thanks Don.  That might indeed work.

I was hoping for a solution which would automate the registration and course enrollment so that no manual steps like importing users would have to happen.

But I think this will work fine as a fall back plan.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Chuck Daniel

In reply to Chuck Daniel

by Mark vd Straten -
You can also insert the user with SQL in table 'mdl_user' and enrol this student to a course in table 'mdl_user_students'. When you insert a user to 'mdl_user' you can set 'confirmed' to true to enable his account.
I had the same problem so I wrote a php-script to copy the user from my 'shop' to moodle and enrol these students directly to the courses they bought.

In reply to Mark vd Straten

by Chuck Daniel -

Thanks  Mark.

This is a closer to what I was hoping to do.  Where can I learn more about those tables layout and the fields (ie. what do all the fields represent). 

With a little bit of work, I'm sure I can get this to do what I want although I still may have to ask them to enter some information before I do the combine insert and update since the system I am using to collect the info is a closed system and not my own.

Thanks again for your help.

-Chuck Daniel