how to specify 'null' as an answer

how to specify 'null' as an answer

by Matt Gibson -
Number of replies: 5
I'm trying to make a short answer question saying:

"what sort of hypothesis predicts no difference in the DV between conditions?"

with the correct answer being "null" or "null hypothesis", but I think PHP has difficulty with "null" and I get an error saying the answer could not be inserted. Is there a way of getting around this (like using quotes around it or something) or will this always be impossible?

Matt
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Gibson

Re: how to specify 'null' as an answer

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This was a really silly bug in our database abstraction layer ADOdb. MDL-6760. I am in the middle of fixing it. Becuase it is a bug in a 3rd party component, it will only be possible to do the fix in 1.7, were we have an upgraded version of ADOdb.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This bug is now fixed in 1.7 beta+. Sadly, there is no way to fix it on the 1.6 stable branch.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Matt Gibson -

Thanks Tim,

It's not a big issue, so I'll just wait for 1.7 and add the question then.

cheers,

Matt

In reply to Matt Gibson

by Gary Anderson -
I would still suggest that you post a bug report on this to the tracker.  Even if the external module can't be fixed for 1.6, perhaps the word "null" can be escaped in an appropriate way during pre-processing, perhaps by doing what I did above and putting it in quotes, or something.
In reply to Gary Anderson

by Timothy Takemoto -

Let me see...nu11 hypothesis , no. nu|| hyphothesis, no. nuII hypothesis, Yes! It seems that capital I is the same shape as an l in the arial font. This is a row of capital I's and small l's.

IlIlIl

So as long as the user is not using custom fonts or text to speech, and you display the questions in airial font then the same pixels can be displayed.
What is the correct answer? {
=<font face="arial">the nuII hypothesis</font>
~<font face="arial">another hypothesis</font>
}

The other option is an image.