Change the Site Registration Options

Change the Site Registration Options

by Don Schwartz -
Number of replies: 15
I can't think of anywhere else to post this.

I'm one of those that approves or dissaproves Moodle Sites and as others can attest, the waiting list is always endless.

This is because the program nags one to register the moment it is installed and most people do.  Then we the reviewers look at test site after test site after test site and reject them which can only hurt folks feelings.

I think the immediate registration is fine to have but can someone change the default selections on the form since most people are in a rush and don't read this stuff anyway.

Not to be listed > Should be the default choice or
An added choice that would make a good default is "New Install Do Not List"
Yes to notifications should always be default.

The rejection email currently says "If this situation changes in future, please try registering again!"  It could also say "When your new site is complete and ready for prime time just click on the registration button at the bottom of your Administration page.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Don Schwartz

Re: Change the Site Registration Options

by Greg Lyon -
heh heh...oops.  So maybe I should NOT have just registered my Moodle site-in-development?  Sorry if I've created extra work for you!  At least I did choose the 'not to be listed' option.
In reply to Don Schwartz

by Robert Brenstein -
What is also missing: re-register your site once a while to update the site stats. If the site is registered at the installation time, there are only a few users and courses usually, but a few months later or a year later, there can be hundred of courses and a few thousand of users.
In reply to Don Schwartz

by Chris Morgan -

While this discussion is under way... is there a way to un-register a site?

Due to a couple of unavoidable system changes I have now got three, apparently identical, registrations for my college's Moodle. (Yes... I also fell into the 'please register your site now' trap!)

In reply to Chris Morgan

by Don Schwartz -
Send me the info Chris and I'll update your listing(s)

Don Schwartz
CADLearning

Moodle Served AutoCAD Tutorials for Students, Schools, Individuals and Business

CADLearning.com
Campus.cadlearning.com
In reply to Don Schwartz

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Don and Robert,

Thanks for your suggestions for improving site registration. approve Please consider adding them to the tracker as improvements, so they don't get lost.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Robert Brenstein -
Okay, I referenced this discussion in the tracker, see MDL-7359.

I actually went further and suggested a new business logic for running the registration process, which includes automated prodding for updating the data. Site registration should also get a page in Docs with a link from registration page.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thanks Robert.

Here's the page in the documentation which links from the registration page: http://docs.moodle.org/en/admin/register.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Robert Brenstein -
Yesterday, searching for "site registration" gave no hits in Docs. Now, I got redirected to the above page. Nice! The only drawback is that the search does not find docs for the registration module. Searching for "registration" takes me to that same page with no other search hits shown, although there should be. black eye

I also wonder also why the page is titled "Registration" instead of "Site Registration" or "Moodle Site Registration". "Registration" is used in other contexts as well, like the registration module (which has nothing to do with site registration).

I further wonder when someone will get motivated to add any content there. Seems the stub page sits empty since May. sad Sounds like the team approving registrations should get on the ball.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Helen Foster -
Good point Robert, docs.moodle.org/en/Registration is now a disambiguation page.

Regarding adding content to docs.moodle.org/en/admin/register, anyone is welcome to do so - as Don mentions, there's always lots of work for the team of people approving sites to do. wink
In reply to Don Schwartz

by Chris Morgan -

Many thanks Don,

The details are for South Trafford College in the UK listing. The working installation is the one at http://www.webcampus.co.uk/stc/ . Please delete completely any other registrations for South Trafford College.

Thanks again,

Chris

In reply to Don Schwartz

by Juvenal Sahiri -
I have a moodle 1.7 test site on localhost. I am constantly being reminded to register Moodle and if I do so, I am told that http://localhost is not valid. I didn't choose to register a moodle site because I am not ready. How do I disable this function in the meanwhile. Right now, I cannot perform any of the other configurations. I deleted the register.php file in the admin folder and I still keep getting this popup. Same with cron which I don't need to use while I go through the testing process.

I logged in again in moodle and clicked on notifications "wanted to configure blocks/modules I installed" and got this warning:
Please register your site to remove this button

Moodle Registration (button)

Clicked on Moodle Registration button and got this URL and page:

http://localhost/moodle/admin/register.php?sesskey=aJQbX18v7Z

Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 404
localhost
12/22/06 17:48:36
Apache/2.2.3 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.8d mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.2.0

Can't think of something more wasteful for all, users and administrators who as Don Schwarz correctly said in this forum.
Thanks
Juvenal
In reply to Juvenal Sahiri

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Juvenal,

> I have a moodle 1.7 test site on localhost. I am constantly being reminded to register Moodle and if I do so, I am told that http://localhost is not valid. [...] I deleted the register.php file in the admin folder and I still keep getting this popup. Same with cron which I don't need to use while I go through the testing process.

I also have a moodle 1.7 test site on localhost and I do not find the cron maintenance and register site reminders irritating at all. For one thing they are not displayed in a popup window as you mention but only in the Notifications window, which you do not have to visit in the normal course of using your Moodle local site.

Quite frankly you can just ignore these reminders and use your Moodle local install peacefully. And of course you can not register a Moodle site installed on a localhost, since your localhost does not exist on the World Wide Web.

All the best, and do relax, man wink

Joseph