End of Lesson Link not working for me

End of Lesson Link not working for me

by info com -
Number of replies: 6
Hi
In the user guide and forums it states in various places that in the Lesson settings I can choose a "link to Activity" to add a link to the end of the lesson to link to another Activity. Here;s actual help for this item "The drop-down menu contains all of the activities for this course. If one is selected, then a link to that activity will appear at the end of the Lesson."

Well, I do not get this link. I get the Score and Grade listed but still no link. What I want is a link to appear to take the student to the next Activity rather than being taken to the Main Menu again. The next Activity for me will be to display some feedback on their score.

Anyone know whats up?

Thanks

Laurie
Average of ratings: -
In reply to info com

Re: End of Lesson Link not working for me

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Hi Laurie,

Another feature I do not use.  What is your version of Moodle?  Could be an unreported bug and version will help others.

-Chris

In reply to info com

by Dr S Bhatia -
The next Activity for me will be to display some feedback on their score.

Dear Laurie

'activity' in moodle does not really mean moving or acting rapidly and energetically but specific things like quiz/lessons/webpages/labels etc. smile (just kidding)

if you wanna show a feedback about the score, nothing like a branch table within the lesson OR have another lesson called 'feedback'. have it dependant on first lesson so that people can see it only after doing the lesson 1.

about that link not appearing, we'd appreciate if, apart from what chris has asked, u could also show us screenshots of your lesson settings and the end of lesson screenshot. it may give us some more clue
In reply to Dr S Bhatia

by info com -
Hi

Thanks for the reply. I haven't tried your suggestion yet, but wouldn't the Brach table mean it would go to this BEFORE showing the final score/grade, and wouldn't the dependancy mean they still have to go back the main menu to choose the Feedback, and not link/move it to it automatically?? If so then thats not what I am looking for. I wanted to have a link to go to the next Activity (like the next Lesson perhaps). I thought thats what Link to Activity means (like it says in help) but it doesn't work for me. So basically, after a Lesson, show the Score/Grade, then direct them somewhere else other than the main course menu. Otherwise people may not go to the feedback for their score.

Thanks
In reply to info com

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Laurie,
I am still a little confuzzled but that my normal state.  I went back and looked at this in 1.6.2 and 1.7 Beta.  I created a simple lesson with a single branch page (no buttons defined,  and I added a resource text page (titled resource), which was my entire course. In Lesson settings I set it to link to the resource page.

What happens for me is the Congratulations page, which had 3 buttons.  The top button read "Go to:  resource ".  The next button was "Course Menu" and the bottom button was "View Grades".   

I  then inserted a t-f question as the last page.  I put in some content in the question area but did not give it any answers.   (Out of habit I made sure custom scoring was off).  It jumped right to the Congratulations screen. 

The bad news is that obviously it does not automatically jump to the link.  The fine print did say that a "link will appear", not that it will jump to the link. 

So how can we make it jump at the end of the lesson to the next activity?  We want the "Do not pass Go, go directly to JAIL" card handed to our students smile

If it was me. I would put a branch page on the last page.  In big bold text ("You teacher say to click here RIGHT NOW') I would embed a link to the next activity or resource.  Then put one button on the bottom that says "Don't click here", and set the jump to return to "This Page".   Could do the same with a multichoice question.  Keep the students in an endless loop until they click on the link.

Gotta run remember the link can be copied from your address bar at the activity you want and then pasted in the right spot.

Hope this helps - be happy to talk about your comment about the branch but a kitten needs to go to the vet.  - Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

by Russ Maurer -
I'm another one having the same problem as Laurie (Moodle 1.6.1+). My congratulations page has only 1 button ("Continue"), which after a couple of seconds automatically redirects to the course home page. There is no link to the "Choice" mod that I linked in the lesson settings. So, two problems:
a. The congratulations page doesn't stay up long enough to absorb it - s there a way to suppress the automatic redirect of the continue button?
b. No link.

Nothing that I've read in this thread so far suggests a fix, although I've seen work-arounds (and in fact have implemented one, but I don't like it much).
In reply to Russ Maurer

by Mark Nielsen -
Hi Russ,

Do you have showgrades turned off in the course settings? This causes a redirect at the end of the lesson because the student is not supposed to see their grade. The solution is not great and I think it was rushed. I'll try to improve it in later versions.

Cheers,
Mark
Average of ratings: Useful (1)