A different LOG IN problem

A different LOG IN problem

by Thomas Bray -
Number of replies: 13
Friends:

I'm having a problem that just started.

My moodle site revolves me around and around and around with a demand for login. Correct password, but it just doesn't want to let me in.

This was installed on a Netmundo server using cpanel and fantastico. I had a peek at the config file, and notice the persistant connection to data base was set as "false". Could this be it? I'm puzzled, because this just started happening..

Note that I'm running moodle on a subdomain, for example, the url is
http://moodle.mydomain.com

That is the way the config is set (no www).

The actual mapping is to
www.mydomain.com/moodle
(which is how netmundo maps it--although it shows up as the subdomain above.)

Can I not run on subdomains?

TB
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thomas Bray

Re: A different LOG IN problem

by Thomas Bray -
Okay, now, an hour later, the problem has STOPPED. I'm completely stumped as to why I even had it! surprise
In reply to Thomas Bray

by Peter Sereinigg -

I had the samer probleme ...

I thinks, this has to do something with IE and (maybe) server session variables ( or such things!) , it happens ...(with this description martin does not agree Breites Grinsen)

when I close all IEs and/or load a different site ... it works ! Not a solution - a trick ...cool  Sometime it helps to log in as a diffent user .. do not ask me why!

Its a non repetable situation. May programmers have an idea for an special IE workarrount

Peter

In reply to Peter Sereinigg

by D G -
Out of curiosity what do you have for session.cookie_lifetime (look in the phpinfo from the admin menu if you're not sure)?

While poking around with a "mozilla sessions never seem to end unless the browser is restarted" issue, I noticed the comment for this variable was "Lifetime in seconds of cookie or, if 0, until browser is restarted." so I tried changing mine from 0 to a resonable 90 minute value.

However, after gracefully restarting the server all the IE users were suddenly logged out and couldn't log back in... netscape/mozilla was unaffected (needless to say I put the variable back to 0 and left it alone for the time being).

DG

In reply to Thomas Bray

by Jean-Pierre Pawlak -

I just found out that my two Netmondo-Moodle-installations  show the same problem.

Yesterday I had no login problem...

I just submitted a ticket.

In reply to Thomas Bray

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

I work on a c-panelsystem and it has never worked:

http://www.ritacollege.be/elo works great

http://elo.ritacollege.be doesn't log in.

Fortunately I noticed before I propagated the information about the subdomain, so now everybody uses the long URL

In reply to koen roggemans

by Jean-Pierre Pawlak -

It's not a subdomain problem. I always use the long URL.

I can't even log in as a guest...

My guess, it's a cookie problem. But how can I check this?

The problem must be Netmondo-server-related. I have no problems to log in to a Moodle

that runs on a German server.

In reply to Jean-Pierre Pawlak

Any conclusions about login problem?

by Patrick Desloge -

I am now having exactly the same problem described in this thread.  I everytime I try to log in I just get the login screen again. 

Did anyone ever figure out the source of this problem?  The site is hosted on NetMondo. 

In reply to Patrick Desloge

Re: Any conclusions about login problem?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The URL you are using MUST match the setting you have in $CFG->wwwroot.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Any conclusions about login problem?

by Patrick Desloge -

There is something strange going on Netmondo I guess.  The url I am using and the $CFG->wwwroot do match.  ( it4lt.com )

The starange thing is that I just tried to go to www.it4lt.com and log in.  When after I logged I was sent back to the login page at it4lt.com but when I added the www to the url I was logged into the site.   (If that makes any sense.)

I submitted a help ticket to Netmondo and they said they were going to recompile PHP.  The site was completely down for a few minutes and now it seems to be working fine again. 

In reply to koen roggemans

by W Page -

Hi!

Your webhost should be able to resolve this problem for you.  I use to experience this with CPanel but since my host has upgraded this no longer happens.

I do not know what happen with CPanel but a couple of versions back the subdomains either stopped working or only worked for a while and then stopped.  I believe the webhosts began to complain to CPanel about it.  Apparently they fixed it in the most recent v 8.

Also, suggest you delete the subdomain completely and then come out of CPanel.  Wait a while and then go back into CPanel and create the subdomain again.

The other option is to ask the host if they can create the subdomain for you.  Then see if you are having the same problem logging in.

Hope this helps.

WP1