"outsourced" files and HotPot

"outsourced" files and HotPot

by Sigi Jakob-Kühn -
Number of replies: 2

Hi all,

it sounds a bit exotic, but I have been fighting with 3 different moodle courserooms (3 schools) located on different servers .... it's highly unpractical if you want to backup and restore courses on other servers, no link to the files will work... so there's a lot of handwork to complete before you can actually make use of the new course. I have now found a solution to this problem by "outsourcing" all my directories and files I need for my courserooms to my son's server - thanx a lot Flo! -  . Everything is working smoothly, apart from ther HotPot exercises. As they are not opened from within the moodle course but only by a link, the scores etc do not work. Does anybody have an idea if and how this problem could be solved? Meanwhile I am doing it the traditional way, uploading each single HotPot Exercise to the appropriate course.

BTW the same problem exists if the HotPot file is in another course of the moodle school, it cannot be accessed. 

Would be extremely helpful if anyone had an idea...   (preferrably not too complicated wink

Kind regards

Sigi

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sigi Jakob-Kühn

Re: "outsourced" files and HotPot

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Sigi,

basically, students in one Moodle course cannot access files and activities in other courses for which they are not enrolled. There's no way round that I am afraid.

However, if you are site administrator, I believe you can put the HotPot source files in the site "Files" folder, i.e. the "Files" folder accessible from the front page of the Moodle site", and access them from there. That may help you.

A while back, Leonhard K. suggested that a useful enhancement to the HotPot module would be to allow files from elsewhere on the web to be used as the source files. i.e. the "Filename" on the settings page would be a full URL starting with "http://". This sounds like just what you want, but it hasn't been implemented yet.

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

Re: "outsourced" files and HotPot

by Sigi Jakob-Kühn -

Hi Gordon, thanx from rainy Germany for your fast answer. I tried the trick with putting the source file (you mean the html version?) of the Hotpot Exercise into the main file directory and then created a hotpot activity by using the link , but this did not work, I got:

Could not open the XML source file "inside_a_hard_disk.htm"

Do I have to be a "normal" admin or a "primary" admin to do this?

Anyway, I will continue now in the old method, waiting for one of you terrific guys to find a solution one day. Thanx again!

Regards

Sigi