Apostrophes in filenames - how to strip or reference

Apostrophes in filenames - how to strip or reference

by Tony Delahunty -
Number of replies: 1

Since there have been a lot of threads relating to special characters in quizzes and activities, hopefully someone can tell us how to upload files with apostrophes in the name(Teacher'sNotes.doc etc) and then have them linked to and displayed on a course page (viewed in IE).  I know it's not good naming practice, but try telling teaching staff that....

Tony

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tony Delahunty

Re: Apostrophes in filenames - how to strip or reference

by David Jackson -
I second this query in the hope it jumps to the top of the list and is seen by someone much cleverer than me.

This has not been such a big issue in the past for us when working with NT/IIS but our new moodle install runs on Debian/Apache and we have hit a brick wall dealing with apostrophes in existing filenames.

Teaching staff are understandably unsympathetic to our plea to insert improper english into their naming conventions and to do so would be a huge job since Moodle cannot display, move, rename or delete any of these files.

I've noticed Moodle swapping spaces for underscores in renamed/uploaded files. Would it be possible to strip apostrophes in a similar way?

Cheers