Import questions default blues

Import questions default blues

by Dr S Bhatia -
Number of replies: 8
I import questions in gift format in lessons e.g.(question is this? {~a ~b ~c ~d =e ~f ~g  ~h}

All my questions are multi-choice with only one correct but 7-8 incorrect options.

I want that whether the students mark it right or wrong, he should 'jump' to next question anyway, since i don't want them to review.

PROBLEM: all incorect answers have 'jump to' as 'this page' by default; but i want it to be 'next page'.
Manually doing this 7 times for each of 350 questions means.....i will be the next guy in asylum.

solution sought: is there a way where when i import gift format questions, the wrong answers should have the 'jump to' as 'next page' by default?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dr S Bhatia

Re: Import questions default blues

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

In the Lesson module, in a question page, correct answers jump by default to Next page and incorrect answers jump to This page (i.e. student has to "try again"). When importing from a GIFT format file, this is exactly the mechanism which is used.

If you want a student to be taken directly from one question to the next irrespective of their answer being correct or incorrect: in the Lesson Settings, set Maximum number of attempts: to 1. Please note, however, that a message "correct / incorrect" will still be displayed to the student upon answering each question. If you do not want this (default) feedback message to be displayed:

• enter your own feedback message (i.e. "continue", "---", etc.)
  • no visible message displayed: enter a non-breaking space as feeback, so your example would become: {~a# ~b# ~c# ~d# =e# ~f# ~g# ~h# }

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Dr S Bhatia -
Thanx a ton
 and
 i MEAN a TONNE

this nbsp thing was the real clincher

__                      __
_ _ _ (     )_ _ _   _ _ _ (     )_ _ _              off

(the above graphic means- 'hats off'    tongueout )   

Regards
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Dr S Bhatia -
"
  • no visible message displayed: enter a non-breaking space as feeback, so your example would become: {~a# ~b# ~c# ~d# =e# ~f# ~g# ~h# }

Joseph"

But Joseph

This still does not eliminate the second page from appearing....

The question no 1., for example, has 6 options and when the student checks one, a new page occurs which says..."your answer: 4" and then when he clicks continue, only then does the next page appear. My intention was to eliminate this second page.

is it possible?

regards

In reply to Dr S Bhatia

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
> My intention was to eliminate this second page.

No idea how this could be done. It would need hacking the lesson code.

Joseph

In reply to Dr S Bhatia

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Been down this road before and it is a good thing I got no memory and Joseph does smile  Continue is all over Moodle in many places and  gets a  fair amount of comment from users on how to get rid of it.  There is not one place to tweak it for an entire Moodle (perhaps in  Moodle 2.0 ?).   And I wonder if this page is also used as a standard trigger to record things like attempts or scores on a lesson page.

A "continue" hack in the Lesson module would effect all courses in the Moodle.  Well it would IF Chris could do the tweak that worked.  Other more seriously qualified hackers might have a more involved code that might be teacher or even course theme specific.  For example: "continue" page exists for Chris's students but not for Dr. Bhatia's.  

In reply to Chris Collman

by Mark Nielsen -
Hi Chris,

I'm assuming you are talking about the feedback screen in Lesson (the screen that the user sees after answering a question)...

And I wonder if this page is also used as a standard trigger to record things like attempts or scores on
a lesson page.

Yes, this page does the grading, attempt storage, displaying of feedback and page jump interpretation.  So it is very vital that after answering a question, the user goes to this page (/mod/lesson/continue.php).

A "continue" hack in the Lesson module would effect all courses in the Moodle.

In 1.7, Lesson has a setting called "Display default feedback".  If this is set to No, then the user does not see this page at all unless there is a response (aka feedback) filled in by the teacher for the question.

Cheers,
Mark
In reply to Mark Nielsen

by Joseph Rézeau -
Mark > In 1.7, Lesson has a setting called "Display default feedback".

That is a nice improvement!

Joseph

In reply to Mark Nielsen

by Dr S Bhatia -
Breatless in anticipation......for 1.7

( on a serious note I wonder if I'll actually upgrade from 1.6.1 to 1.7 considering that i am still constructing parts of my new moodle site under 1.6.1. By the time full site will be functional, you guys'd be talking about 2.3 or 2.4.......well, softwares are like girlfriends....you usually try to get the latest one and the moment you get it/her, you see a better one round the corner.....GAWD wink)