Example Lessons

Example Lessons

by Vinny Stocker -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi,

I've been Moodling since April and am quite pleased with my Chemistry site so far. My problem is getting started with the Lesson module - I just can't seem to figure out the structure and how to put together a lesson. Does anyone have a good example lesson that I could have a look at or know of any resources that may help me?

Many thanks,

Vinny

www.reviseguys.com/moodle

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Vinny Stocker

Re: Example Lessons

by Scott Elliott -
Vinny,

Here are a couple of things you can check out, if you haven't already!

Moodle Features Demo Course - This has a little lesson on the lesson module.  You can download the demo course and install it in your site so you can see how it is made.

Lesson Moodle Docs - Although not an example of a lesson, it is a good resource.

Good luck!

Scott

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Vinny,
Scott offers two good suggestions which you should look at. 

Thanks for the link.  We do much the same thing in a training environment.  It is all about transitions from one presentation medium to another.   I went to >http://www.reviseguys.com/moodle/mod/resource/view.php?id=96 Edexcel AS/A2 GCE in Chemistry.  That is a huge course and you are weaving elements of Moodle into it.  Nice.  I randomly selected the topic: 1.2 Formulae, equations and moles.

Essentially the  Moles workbook is a big lesson.  It presents pages of materials (branch pages that  are grade netural) It has excercises which are a series of questions.  It is broken into 12 sections which are classic branches.

The problem with the Mole book is that a student will have to remember where they stopped, or print it up.  There is no immediate interaction with the student after a question. You can't send them to the page that contains the answer, or provide some feedback through a responce.  

Of course bringing this into a lesson requires work.  I offer Moles as an example of a lesson that should help you when you read what Scott suggested.

Somewhat related, I also think that your "calculate your  empirical formula" is an assignment in  Version 1.6. It is possible that it is only a fun assignment, so a netural resource works for you.  Did not go into the first quiz but wondered if this should be a series of questions in a lesson.  The last quiz is probably a "test" and thus a quiz in my book. These comments are not from an educator.

I realize that your site may encourage peer interaction  rather than teacher interaction. 

Hope this gives you some more specifics to think about.

In reply to Chris Collman

by Vinny Stocker -
Picture of Plugin developers

Scott, thanks for the links I've looked the help docs before but the example was v.useful.

Chris, cheers for the detailed reply. I found your feedback on my work especially useful. Glad you chose the AS/A2 Chemistry course to look at as the others have nowhere as much content!

I'm going to have another stab at the lesson module with renewed vigor.

Many thanks,

Vinny  

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Your welcome.  I think it is all about transitions from one media to another in the race "to get content up".  You could consider creative ways to break up the PDF, as a starting point.  Students read a PDF segment (resource), then take a lesson, where you write a summary of each point they should have learned and use the questions posed in the PDF (don't include them in the PDF, but manually put them in a series of Lesson Questions) as your lesson questions.    I would not like typing in over 150 pages of PDF words smile

I didn't mention that the PDF seemed to be all words.  I bet you use some great visual images in your classroom.   The lesson would be a place to put them.   Yeah I know there are powerpoint jpgs (read some of the discussion in the import powerpoint thread) you might insert.   And/or, how about taking a digital picture of an graphic done on the whiteboard in your classroom, insert it in a lesson page and type some text for it?

I would be interested in hearing others chime in on how they made a transition.