Rounding of grades

Rounding of grades

by Lance Johnson -
Number of replies: 2

When I insert partial point grades into grade book (such as a grade of 18.5 out of 20), the grades are rounded up, so a grade of 18.5 turns into a 19. Any quick fix for this or am i over looking a setting?

Lance

In reply to Lance Johnson

Re: Rounding of grades

by Simon Parkinson -
Good Morning,

I had a similiar question from a faculty member (Attached below). Perhaps someone can give me some guidance on this?

Thank you.

Simon

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Original Email Follows -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

As I was calculating grades today for PSYC 6123, I realized that the limitation of only being able to assign full numbers can make a significant difference in letter grades.

For example, I gave someone 15.5/20 on an assignment, which converts to 77.5 (B+).

I hate to shift grades down, but 15/20 would be 75 (B).

If I shifted up to 16/20, that jumps to 80 (A-).

Is it possible to adjust Moodle settings to accommodate assigning grades to one decimal point within Moodle? 15.5 would result in the letter grade which fits the assignment.
In reply to Simon Parkinson

Re: Rounding of grades

by Lance Johnson -

I have mentioned the same issue and from what I can gather, you will need to upgrade to Gradebook plus v2 and make some changes to the database in order to use decimal (fractional) grading. I Received this message from Jeff Graham in the Moodle forums.

Gradebookplus_v2 offers many improvements over v1 one of these is the change to allow fractional grades. However, this does require you to alter the assignment database structure to store fractional grades. The column type for the grades in assignment tables needs to change from int to decimal(5,2)

I think Jeff helped to make Gradebook plus v2??? Hope this helps some.

Lance