Adaptive marking quandary!!!

Adaptive marking quandary!!!

by scott hallman -
Number of replies: 6

Help. I have devised a great new a adaptive ILT assessment using lessons. Test matrix is below (and attached). The only trouble is it requires the tutor to go to each individual test to calculate the exact score, as the points score is never displayed again after the student has finished the test. This is not only time consuming but also if you only receive a percentage score then a person who gets 7/28 would get 25% and a person who scores 13/51 would also get 25%. But the second person would have answered the more difficult questions and therefore the points score is a better reflection.

I'm happy to provide the lesson but would like to know if I can ammend this in anyway or if you can view the points score other than totalling the score from the actual test.

START TEST HERE

Questions worth 5 points

Question 1 (5)

Question 2 (5)

Question 3 (5)

Question 4 (5)

Question 5 (5)

Questions worth 4 points

Question 2 (4)

Question 3 (4)

Question 4 (4)

Question 5 (4)

Question 6 (5)

Questions worth 3 points

Question 2 (3)

Question 3 (3)

Question 4 (3)

Question 5 (3)

Question 7 (5)

Questions worth 2 points

Question 2 (2)

Question 1 (2)

Question 1 (2)

Question 1 (2)

Question 8 (5)

Questions worth 1 point

Question 2 (1)

Question 2 (1)

Question 2 (1)

Question 2 (1)

Question 9 (5)

Question 10 (5)

Red arrow indicates the direction if the candidate gets the answer wrong.

Green arrow indicates the direction if the candidate get the answer correctly.

Scoring would work as follows

50 is max with all the 5 point questions (5 x 10) very good

41 is next with all the 4 point + then 5 point (4 x 4) + (5 x 5) good

32 is next with all the 3 point + then 5 point (3 x 4) + (5 x 5) ok

23 is next with all the 2 point + then 5 point (2 x 4) + (5 x 5) weak

14 is last with all the 1 point + then 5 point (1 x 4) + (5 x 5) poor

Hope you can help

Many thanks

Scott

Average of ratings: -
In reply to scott hallman

Re: Adaptive marking quandary!!!

by Mark Nielsen -
Hi Scott,

Sounds like the Lesson reports need to be improved some.  I'll try to stick something into 1.7 that should help.

Cheers,
Mark

by Mark Nielsen -
Hi Scott,

I started to work on this in the Lesson reports in 1.7.  Take a look at the screen-shot.

Question to Lesson users: is it helpful to display the user's profile at the top of the Lesson stats?

Cheers,
Mark
Attachment lesson-reports.jpg
In reply to Mark Nielsen

by scott hallman -

This looks great!!! and would save us the time of trawling through each individual test. Will the raw score also get transfered to the exportable excel spread sheet too? Thanks for your very quick attention to this matter. You have saved my bacon on this, as I have bid money resting on our trial and reports will be much easier.

Also I was at a conference with Martin and he did mention the activity reports from moodle were going to improve. My IT team and I have to produce reports that examine individual tutor use, class and group use and monthly use in each course area. Currently I have been doing weekly activity reports and then collating from this. This is again a long drawn out process. How improved will the report system be on 1.62 (which we are just loading) and 1.7.

Many thanks for your time

Scott

In reply to Mark Nielsen

by scott hallman -

Hi Mark, nice to see the update does what you said it would. I can now drill down and get the raw scores. This doesn't however seem to enable me to let the raw scores be individually be displayed. (see attachment) only percentages still.

Because the lesson is adaptive the percentage doesn't mean much. Eg a person who gets 11/35 gets less percentage than someone who has answered easier questions say 10/28.

The ideal is to get everybodies test out of 50 as this is the max. even if their path lead them to a score as above (refer to test matrix previously posted) This would then make the percentage ok. Or display the raw scores in the grade list but have them all out of 50. (refer attachment)

I have tried playing with weighted and setting weighted and max score on the lesson but none of it seems to work. The test works fine and the validity is growing as we add more possible answers.

The raw scores are great except it would be nice to make them out of 50 for all (at the moment it adds up the total possible points from questions answered and if they have take the easy path through the test then you get a score out of 28 or so)

This is quite important as the sector in England is looking to use it in their college but I am reluctant to distribute it if they can't get the list of raw scores easily.

I hope you can help

Scott

by Mark Nielsen -
> The ideal is to get everybodies test out of 50 as this is the max.

This is something that we are slowly perusing. Other bugs in lesson are leading the development path to a new grading scheme.

The attached picture is of the grade book, which I have no real development control over. You could submit a feature request in the bug tracker. I know the grade book might be rewritten soon, so your feature could get incorporated into the rewrite.

Cheers,
Mark
In reply to Mark Nielsen

by scott hallman -

Thanks Mark, how do I submit the request to the bug tracker for the possible rewrite addition? Or is there , more information on the grade book intricacies which I am not aware of that someone can inform me about?

Thanks again

Scott